News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Binding OctaNe

Started by xiombarg, September 03, 2002, 12:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiombarg

Okay, I just picked up OctaNe, and it's hellva cool, but I have to admit that the "print and fold into a tiny booklet" format was sort of a pain in the butt for me. I tried stapling it together, but my stapler wasn't up to the task. Eventually I ended up punching a couple holes in it and stringing some old cut-up phone cord through 'em to hold it together, which I think looks really cool in a "this was made after the Apocalypse with materials found lying around in the ruins" kinda way, but I want to make some more copies for my players to look at while making characters.

SO: What's a cheap, easy way to bind those suckers together? I'm not looking for cool, I'm looking for easy and cheap. I know Kinko's will do stuff for me, but I was wondering if there was an easier/cheaper DIY avenue that y'all had discovered. Is there a thread on this I missed?
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

Judd

Drilled a hole in the center of the binding and put a nut and bolt through it and then bound the outskirts with duct tape.

It looks smashing.  I only wished I had used better quality paper for the print-out.

Tim Denee

Judd

No picture, don't have a scanner or any of that new fangled equipment.

And when I say it looks smashing I mean it looks like something you would find in a mutant's sack after you thump him for trying to scratch your talking Chevy Impala named Reginald.  It is under his half-eaten copy of Penthouse, dog-eared copy of Fight Club and expired anti-radiation pills.

It is that kind of smashing.  It fits the game.

Jared A. Sorensen

I'm pondering a "bind your book and post the pic" contest after hearing about some unusual binding methods.

Not sure what the prize would be. Hmmm.

Anyway, I'd love to have pics up on octane's Galleria.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ferry Bazelmans

Kirt, get Kinko's to punch four holes through the side of the paper. Add a cover for the back and front too.

Using needle and thread, sew the pages together by inserting the needle in the top hole, threading it over the top of the page a few times (works to counter wear and tear) and then down to the other holes. At the bottom hole, thread it over the bottom of the pages a few times (for the same reason) and break off the thread after you tie it down.

Then use sturdy tape to conceal the threading and voilá, a book is born.

Fer

PS When I get my octaNe dose, I'm going for rusted sheet metal. :)
The BlackLight Bar, home of Soap: the game of soap opera mayhem.
Now available as a $2.95 Adobe PDF (Paypal only)

mahoux

I just picked up my copy today.  

I'm gonna print it up with a nice, off white (read:ecru or beige) paper stock, do the cover in a heavy card stock, bind it up tape bound...

AND THEN DROP THAT SUMBITCH INTO A PUDDLE, LET IT GET ALL NICE AND YUCKY AND LET IT DRY IN THE SUN SO IT WARPS NICELY!

For my player's communal reference copy, I will do all the steps listed above...

AND THEN THROW THAT BASTARD INTO THE NUKEROWAVE FOR UPWARDS OF 30 SECONDS AT A TIME TO CHAR IT!

(We used to do that with our rent checks in college)

Aaron Houx
Taking the & out of AD&D

http://home.earthlink.net/~knahoux/KOTR_2.html">Knights of the Road, Knights of the Rail has hit the rails!

Jared A. Sorensen

I'd like to see someone ink up a tire and roll it across the front/back cover. :)
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ferry Bazelmans

Quote from: Jared A. SorensenI'd like to see someone ink up a tire and roll it across the front/back cover. :)

Damn.

You guessed. :)

Fer
The BlackLight Bar, home of Soap: the game of soap opera mayhem.
Now available as a $2.95 Adobe PDF (Paypal only)

mahoux

I thought about running over my copy, but I decided that was a little much....(snort, snort... Bwahahahaha)

Aaron Houx
Taking the & out of AD&D

http://home.earthlink.net/~knahoux/KOTR_2.html">Knights of the Road, Knights of the Rail has hit the rails!

drake113

Hey, I just finished the cover for mine.  I think it looks dandy, if I do say so myself.  You can check out the browser-friendly version
here, or the huge print-ready version here.

I also stol--er, utilized Adam Jury's hellacool map of the West for the composite picture on the front, so props to him.
Now I just gotta figure out how to bind it...

Mike Holmes

Dude, that's so cool!

Folks be amazin' me with their creativity of late.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.