News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

creating a game about "real" fae?

Started by Green, April 01, 2003, 04:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidhain

I was merely addressing how I approached the idea of "Muse" rather than Fae--since Fae do vary a lot based on the fictions and folklores one reads.

Just trying to get some information on /how/ this ideal can be presented, and show how I would (and have) approached it.

taalyn

Okay, I get you. Well, I've twisted the ideas of the seelie/unseelie courts into political factions. And I've brought back the idea of an interrelationship between the Otherworld and this. This idea is really prominent in Celtic folklore, and basically involves the idea that the Otherworld does things for us in exchange for the things we do for them. The Compact in Aisling has been broken, and some political factions are slowly trying to rebuild it, while others don't care or want revenge.  Then there are also the additional effects that Humanity has had on the Otherworld and its inhabitants, creating Breed. These are manifestations of human needs, desires, fears, and such like.  The interplay of all of these things, Fae Rades (the factions), Breed and their needs (which vary quite a bit as well - from Muses of Love to Vampires and Gemmin (the Memories of Place), and finally humans, Awake and Sleeping.

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

clehrich

For a brilliant, elegant take on fairies, you really ought to read John Crowley's novel Little, Big.  The writing is extraordinarily beautiful, and you've never seen fairies like this.

I have some ideas how you'd use it in an RPG, but I think anyone who reads it is going to get something rather different out of it.

Just a point of advice: when you read it, allow yourself time to go back and re-read it.  The second time through, it's a totally different book.
Chris Lehrich

taalyn

Thanx, Clehrich, I'm going out to get it tonite. I always appreciate good recommendations.

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural