News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

IMP rpg demo version available

Started by scarecrowking, April 16, 2003, 05:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Quote from: scarecrowkingMike: I could ask the same thing about superhero games.  Where's the fun?  The mayor calls, you rush off and whump the bad guy, collect experience, rinse, repeat.  Loads of fun there, from my point of view.

I love superhero games. I get to be a hero. Is it a prerequisite of this game that you want to play a villain? If so, sorry, not interested.

The term we use a lot is protagonism. There has to be something you like about the characters. If not, then why play them?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jeph

Quote from: scarecrowking
I think the problem, if I am seeing things with the right kind of eyes, is that I'm discussing a small, 'for fun'' rpg on a site dedicated to large, genre-shaking games.  I don't expect people to drop Truncheons & Flagons 9th Edition and play my game exclusively.  Just hoping someone sees it and will enjoy getting together with a couple buddies and (in game) cause a little mischief for a couple hours.
Brian

Eh? Not so, IME. I mean, genre-shaking games do come out of the Forge with surprising frequency, but I think that most of the games developed here are 'small, "for fun" rpgs.' Everything that I've posted here has fit that descriptor.

Er, you will now return to your originally scheduled topic.
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

Jack Spencer Jr

Quote from: scarecrowkingFirst, hey Jack, I liked Troll Quest.  Just realized who you are!
????
Oh yeah. Thanks, but I had little to do with Troll Quest. I ran it through my spell checker and Jim Shipman put my name in the credits. I told him that was all I did and didn't deserve any credit but he gave it to me anyway.
QuoteBTW, Jack, TWERPS was ok, but we had more fun with making up the silly names than actually designing the game.  In hindsight, I kind of wish I had put a little more effort into the bits I was responsible for instead of falling back on bad puns and childish humor.  C'est la vie.
Never put down bad puns and childish humor. I would be very quiet all the time otherwise.
QuoteOK, back to the design board.  Gonna talk to my partner and see what we can come up with.
Well consider the feedback you had gotten, anyway.

simon

Firstly, let me say I like the idea of imp-characters and I'm interested. However, the points made about why players would/should play this game are strong. In reading through the thread, it struck me that you could have one hell of a game with imps (or demons, or devils, or whatever) who had escaped from Hell and, rather than wanting to return, what to kepp, ermm... the hell away from the fiery pits. This would allow you to introduce key conflict and plot elements and provide more reasons for player involvement. Just how you'd do it though is another matter.

Jeph

Quote from: simonFirstly, let me say I like the idea of imp-characters and I'm interested. However, the points made about why players would/should play this game are strong. In reading through the thread, it struck me that you could have one hell of a game with imps (or demons, or devils, or whatever) who had escaped from Hell and, rather than wanting to return, what to kepp, ermm... the hell away from the fiery pits. This would allow you to introduce key conflict and plot elements and provide more reasons for player involvement. Just how you'd do it though is another matter.

I must admit, that is an interesting concept for the game, but not really supported by the mechanics. It takes away motivation to gain TONS of Mal; just enough to fuel your Hexes.
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

Jack Spencer Jr

Quote from: JephI must admit, that is an interesting concept for the game, but not really supported by the mechanics. It takes away motivation to gain TONS of Mal; just enough to fuel your Hexes.
We're taking Brian's game and doing weird things with it he never intended,, but for this idea, the obvious solution is to borrow a page from Spawn. Start out with 666 Mal and every time you use Mal it goes down. When it hits 0, back you go. So you have to get people to commit sins to gain back Mal to keep from going back.

simon

First, apologies to Brian for polymorphing his game! But he has triggered quite a few thoughts among folks here and, well, that must be good. So, to risk further transmutation what about this:-

1. The imps are escapees from Hell and they don't wanna go back.
2. They have seven stats based on the seven deadly sins.
3. When three of these stats reach 6 together up pops Old Nick and drags you back screaming to the pits of hell.
4. Each character has a passion or drive or motive; something which was so strong that it led to his escape from Hell. This passion needs fulfilling. For example, after having spent eons in hell you realise that being an evil dude just aint no fun. In a previous incarnation you did something to somebody and now that somebodies descendents are suffering. Your passion is to right the wrong you did.
5. The game centres around the fulfilment of these drives/passions.
6. The road to hell, however, is paved with good intentions. In trying to fulfil your passion you have to face the minions of Baal and even simple every day temptations. Failing to overcome them raises you stats, which takes you closer to Hell but gives you more power.
7. Your passion also has a numerical rating and this is used to resolve conflicts (dice pool?).
8. If you fail your conflict roll then the number by which you failed is translated into gains for the seven stats (players choose which is/are raised).
9. The 7 stats are also used as floating dice pools. In a situation where gluttony seems appropriate, for example, you can add a number of dice up to the score in that rating to your passion pool when resolving the conflict. BUT, failure means an instant 6 in that stat score. If the stat is already 6, then 6 points must be distributed throughout the other stats as the player sees fit.

Clearly, this is a crude outline and offered merely as a suggestion as to how to bend the mechanics for Imps who want to avoid a one-wat return to Hell. What do you think, Brian?