News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TQB: Counting the days...or hours?

Started by James V. West, March 02, 2003, 01:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James V. West

Hey

As I've mentioned before, I'm going to go with a Print On Demand service for The Questing Beast. What this means is I've had to learn how to do real layout work for a real printer...real fast. See, I didn't actually plan to do this. I stumbled upon the tempting pricing at Berryville Graphics through a small press comics friend. My wife and I discussed it and we're both very excited about the project. It was her suggestion that I get this thing done and printed before going to the SPACE convention in April.

And hell, that's what I'm doing.

The most I've ever done with layout software was The Pool in ROCG #1. That was a mere 4-pager with plain text and no art ('cept the dice image). TQB is 32 pages with lots of art. It's been fun. InDesign, though utterly frustrating at first, is actually a very good program.

So, anyway, the 32 pages are laid out. I've printed a draft copy and now we're going to pour through it looking for mistakes and plain ole bad judgement calls. With luck, I'll have the thing finished up tomorrow. Then, I get to start on the cover!

To make a long story short, I'll be sending this package to the printer middle of next week and I should have the books here about 2 weeks later, give or take.

This is rather exciting...

Paganini

James:

I'm a good proofreader, and I'd be happy to go over TQB and help hunt for typos.  I know this is kind of late on the waggon (I've been out of town), but if you want me to take a look, drop me a line.

James V. West

Thanks! A copy has been sent to you...

James V. West

Paganini wasn't lying when he said he was a good proofreader!

Me: "What's your reccomendation?"

Pag: "We need to take the whole line back to formula."

Me: (intense gritting of teeth, aggressive stance) "Back to formula?"

Haha. Just kidding!

But I am in the process of fixing all the errors and muddy parts, most of which were kindly identified by Paganini, to whom I am very grateful.

More later...

(minor edit for clarity)

Fabrice G.

Hi James,

I really hope you'll get those babies real quick...

any informations for overseas customer (like France) ???

Take care,

Fabrice.

James V. West

Hey Fabrice!

When the game is available I'll post a link to my website where you can order it. I'll probably have to charge a few extra dollars for overseas shipping, but it's not a big deal.

I'll have more information in the coming weeks.

Fabrice G.

Great !

I just love to have those nifty game in book format   :)

So... now I'm waitin'.

Take care,

Fabrice.

James V. West

Update:

Thanks to some great playtesting, engaging debates, and skillful proofreading all provided by those wonderful errant knights of Indie Netgaming, TQB is going to be a leaner, meaner, and better game.

Work is progressing slowly, but appropriately. More later.

Fabrice G.

Okay,

Here Ron mention the deal you've got from the printer...

So... what's up ? Do we still have to wait for a long time ? Can you give us an approximative date ?

Take care,

Fabrice.

James V. West

I was about 95% finished with the project when some recent playtesting and discussion made me realize I needed a little polishing. Due to other obligations, I had to suspend work on the book for a little while. Right now I'm going to guesstimate I'm at about 75% completion.

One to two more months, minimum. I will keep you posted!