News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Conflicting spells & Multiple Familiars

Started by PAD the MAD, April 13, 2003, 05:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAD the MAD

Hi all,

Been running RoS for several sessions now and have some good players and a nice mix of characters who are developing nicely. A couple of things cropped up as a result of last session that I'd be interested in peoples views on.

1) Two spells get cast on the same person that have conflicting effects. How do you determine which spell wins out? Based on power of spell?(highest used Vagaries?), Net successes?.

The example in question was a Dominate spell to get a PC to attack another PC vs the PC using a Beneath Notice spell to give him time to run away...

Ideas? Comments?

2) Later in the session we were discussing what happens if the Familiar of a sorceror character has offspring. Easy solution - they're normal critters. But, it also occured to me that for 10 SA points it is feasible to purchase another Minor Advantage e.g. a second familiar.

So, other than another pair of eyes to use, do you think the sorceror should gain any other benefits from the second familiar? e.g. the automatic 1 months ageing soak.

BFN

PAD the MAD
You know you're an Evil GM when your players make up back up Rolemaster characters in readiness for the next session

PAD the MAD

Hi all,

Someone please give a reply!

Even if it to say this topic has been done to death elsewhere - at least then I'll know to go looking for it.

BFN

Paul
You know you're an Evil GM when your players make up back up Rolemaster characters in readiness for the next session

Jake Norwood

Hey PAD,

1) I'd probably go with either what was most recently cast, or by margin of success.
2) I'd never considered a second familiar. Silly me. I say it's only good for another set of eyes--not addit'l aging bonuses or the like.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

PAD the MAD

Cheers Jake,

I was planning on going with the extra pair of eyes and no bonus to aging resistance...

Still not sure about the magic interaction - I like the idea of multiple magics affecting each other but it does make things complicated...

Not sure about margin of success as that (generally) favours the less powerful spell i.e. lower CTN (assuming equality of caster ability).

Must think on this some more...

BFN

Paul

Jake Norwood

Quote from: PAD the MADNot sure about margin of success as that (generally) favours the less powerful spell i.e. lower CTN (assuming equality of caster ability).

Not the less powerful spell--the more direct and simpler spell. It's occam's razor in action.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

PAD the MAD

Hi again,

I hadn't thought of the simpler, more direct spell idea for some reason - obviously still too used to other magic systems where bigger is better...

Always nice to see things from another viewpoint. Thanks!

BFN

PAD

Ashren Va'Hale

oops, I let Mayhem get extra aging bonuses for his second familiar... well, not my problem anymore since that game is over!
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!