News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Anyone running Cartoon Action Hour?

Started by Eddy Fate, April 17, 2003, 04:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy Fate

Just like the topic says - is anyone running a series of Cartoon Action Hour?  What is their play experience like?  How does the game play?  What's the series about?
Eddy Webb
Vice-President, Spectrum Game Studios
Co-Line Developer for http://www.zmangames.com/CAH/">Cartoon Action Hour
http://www.shadowfist.com/html/store_CAH.htm">Order CAH online!

gunsel

I ran a super fun CAH open demo at my FLGS.  www.dlair.net
One player used a template and the other two made scratch built characters. I was pleased at how quickly the CAH system converted the players cool ideas into gameable special abilitites and we were off and bashing hordes of badguys in no time. We had a fun time and I may expand it into a series. Warroirs of the Cosmos is great stuff.  I even had a guy wonder in to the store and join the battle at the last minute. It was all good fun!
      Dave

Eddy Fate

Quote from: gunselI ran a super fun CAH open demo at my FLGS.  www.dlair.net
One player used a template and the other two made scratch built characters. I was pleased at how quickly the CAH system converted the players cool ideas into gameable special abilitites and we were off and bashing hordes of badguys in no time. We had a fun time and I may expand it into a series. Warroirs of the Cosmos is great stuff.  I even had a guy wonder in to the store and join the battle at the last minute. It was all good fun!
      Dave

Cool!  I'm glad you had a good time!  Tell me about the demo...
Eddy Webb
Vice-President, Spectrum Game Studios
Co-Line Developer for http://www.zmangames.com/CAH/">Cartoon Action Hour
http://www.shadowfist.com/html/store_CAH.htm">Order CAH online!

Norbert

As you know, I am still waiting for my darn copy of the book.

But I expect it to be here next week (...though that's Cynthia's autographed copy and not the one I have ordered from a real store).
I am about to get my first regular, non-playtesting, non-eMail game going for CAH... which will probably turn out as a version of The Transbots!
Also, I'd like to run fast and loose with Warriors of the Cosmos, though at this point, this series is likely to see more action as a convention demo game this summer than as a regular campaign. I am just not sure how well it would go over with my pals, most of whom played RoleMaster, Call of Cthulhu and Dungeons & Dragons beforehand.

In any case, it's something new and captivating in the world of RPGs.
In fact, nothing since my first couple of ElfQuest and RuneQuest fantasy game sessions was as captivating.
The game just needs some time to get publicity in my country.

gunsel

We had :
"Shiftor" a hero with shifting arms and legs.
Diablor- a cyborg built for evil by Nekrotuss but who found no fun in evil and started a career as a comedian / children`s entertainer.
WildChild- a young squirrel guy who talks to animals and is heroically hyperactive.
It was in the city of Questra the heroes found themselves enjoying a nice day in the park when.... Evil Came From the Sky. Diablor was busy entertaining a group of school children when he noticed the hordes flying in on gliders. Unfortunately Shiftor was taken OOF by the strongest members of the horde because his player had to leave. The other heroes were outraged to see a fellow taken down by such a mean nasty bunch of goons so a big goon bashing conference commenced. Eventually the PCs wore the goons down and they fought with Nekkrotuss himself. Right when it seemed that Nekrottus was going to get the upper hand a man who was in the crowd returned from securing his wife and kids at home and battled furiously with Nekrotuss. The PCs then proceeded to thrash the bad guy soundly and produced a nice after show message about sharing and not being a bully.
Dave

Norbert

I am not sure whether I follow this completely...

Who was this other man that returned from securing his wife? Did he become another hero afterward?
Did you bring him in as the "cavalry factor"... that mysterious force that always turns up in the last minute to save the Player Characters' butts?

Not bad, otherwise.
I'd be interested in knowing more about Shiftor's powers. Was he like that Modulok action-figure (multiple arms and legs that could be attached to the figure in various combinations)?
I tried to introduce a character like that into one of my games, too, with two heads and six legs, etc., but his extra appendages didn't really seem to have a big influence on combat.

gunsel

QuoteWho was this other man that returned from securing his wife? Did he become another hero afterward?
Did you bring him in as the "cavalry factor"
He was another gamer who was shopping in the store and wanted to play. So I brought him as quick fun ending to the battle. "accidental calvary"

Lostfactor

The big problem here is that assembling a group of roleplayers on campus is next to impossible unless you include the words "White Wolf LARP" in the campaign description.  So I've got a kind of small pool to deal with.
-Eliot "Until you meet the guy, you're open to playing with him" Lefebvre
We only have a little time in our lives to waste.  Make the most of it.
Electronic Transcendence Productions: http://www.lostfactor.net
Producer of, um, stuff for an unspecified time-period.
Rants: http://www.livejournal.com/users/lostfactor

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Quote from: gunsel
QuoteWho was this other man that returned from securing his wife? Did he become another hero afterward?
Did you bring him in as the "cavalry factor"
He was another gamer who was shopping in the store and wanted to play. So I brought him as quick fun ending to the battle. "accidental calvary"

Very nice way to integrate a late-comer.  I'm glad to see that it made an impact on the battle and turned the tides.  It makes for a much more compelling story, and probably pumped that player up for more.
Cynthia Celeste Miller
President, Spectrum Games
www.spectrum-games.com

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Quote from: LostfactorThe big problem here is that assembling a group of roleplayers on campus is next to impossible unless you include the words "White Wolf LARP" in the campaign description.  So I've got a kind of small pool to deal with.
-Eliot "Until you meet the guy, you're open to playing with him" Lefebvre

I feel your pain, Eliot.  Around my area, it's usually next to impossible to run anything but Vampire or D&D3.  Fortunately, I dug up all the gamers who'll try practically any game.  =0)
Cynthia Celeste Miller
President, Spectrum Games
www.spectrum-games.com

Norbert

Quote from: Cynthia Celeste Miller
I feel your pain, Eliot.  Around my area, it's usually next to impossible to run anything but Vampire or D&D3.  Fortunately, I dug up all the gamers who'll try practically any game.  =0)

GREAT! That's good for you, Cynthia. Is this recruiting of players a skill you could teach me?
Because, I always seem to have to search for a very long time, then I get two or three players max., just one person short of a good player-group, and then of those two or three guys goes away due to a move, a new job, a new girlfriend, or something else.

The Spoken Name

Quote from: gunselI ran a super fun CAH open demo at my FLGS.  www.dlair.net
      Dave

******Dave, was this the Drago's Lair in San Antonio or Round Rock? Do they stock the game on their own or only special order it?  If they stock it I will add them to the retailer list.

And for all: if your store stocks CAH please give me their info: name, full address, and phone #. I will put it up on the retailer locator.

Thanks!
Zev
Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

gunsel

It was the Burnet Road store in Austin. I have not seen it on the shelves since I bought mine and that was the first friday it was in stores. I love gaming there soo much I am gonna do another game this Thursday. It may be on the shelves and I may have not seen it. They did some major moving things around recently. I am really hawking this baby also one of the coolest rpgs in recent history.
:-)
Dave

Norbert

Hello,

just wanted to keep you all "updated":
I'm going to run -- yes, effectively: RUN -- Cartoon Action Hour with two guys from my old group this afternoon. In fact, I'll have to catch a bus really soon to get there on time.
There are only those two friends as players so far, with a third one possibly joining in about two weeks' time. I've left it up to them whether we're only going to sit around and make up new characters for the two of them, or jump into The Hunt for Galdrek from the Iconia Action Pack, for which I'd like to use two pre-generated Iconia player-characters.

I'll let you know how it goes.

See ya.

Norbert

Okay, folks. I'm back...  
What we did today was basically make up new characters. We are planning to try at least a modified version of Warriors of the Cosmos, though one of my two friends specifically said that he saw only a few episodes of Masters of the Universe in the old days, never liked them, and was not interested in playing in a Masters of the Universe-derived series. Well, I'm flexible.
I would have offered Skull Gulch or The Transbots instead, but I didn't have a lot of information with me _on those series_. I only had the familiar Warriors of the Cosmos material.
We took ample time to discuss character generation; my friends flipped through the write-ups for Kazgull, Noblara, Sure-Shot, Bouldarr, Falcor and Lorxan, but decided to create their own heroes from scratch.

One of the two new characters is now a cybernetically enhanced Doctor of Engineering named "Genius", who can manipulate gravity and has 4(2) in both Athletics and Body. The other is a magic-resistant halfling who grew up among Elves and other people, wields twin throwing-knives, and has many other adventuring skills. He is actually a former player-character of one of my friends in the RoleMaster game who at one point met some goblins who said they could teleport him back to his home. Instead, they teleported him -- for whatever reason -- to Iconia.
That's all I can tell you for the moment.