News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

RoS "historical"

Started by Matt Snyder, April 25, 2003, 10:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salamander

Quote from: SpartanAlso, this might be of some assistance: aedificium.org

Personally, I find I prefer early medieval time periods the best, since they bear a strking resemblance to my beloved Hârn.  They have a certain grittiness that I feel is lacking in Renaissance time periods.  Just don't tell Salamander... I'm playing in his upcoming TROS campaign! ;)

-Mark

Hehehe...
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Matt Snyder

Quote from: ValamirYup, that is indeed the one.  I was thinking it was connected to my Harn stuff but couldn't remember the details.  Actually I, didn't even realize it was still in print (I only paid $10 off of Ebay instead of the $30 its going for on the site fortuneately).  

But I will vouch for its usefullness as a sourcebook, even if $30 bucks seems a little outrageous for a 96 page softcover.

Looks good. I found it on their site, and may pick it up. We'll see. It seems to be pretty focused on England -- how useful would it be if we set the game in Acquitaine, for example? Other French kingdom/province?
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

toli

If you want to run a sort of Knight Errant campaign, I suggest reading:

William Marshal: Court, Career and Chivalry in the Angevin Empire 1147-1219 (Medieval World) by David Crouch

It is a good read.

NT
NT

Neil

A good scource for just about any period of warfare are the multitude of books by the Osprey Publishing company.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/index.php

Wargamers (like myself) often find these takes on the military history to be a great resource with the colour plates of period costumes that are included in these books, along with all the titbits of historical events make a good introduction to events of the period.

Seriously, you can blow loads of money on these.

Jason Kottler

There are also lots of regional books for Ars Magica. AM is set in the late 13th century (1250+, IIRC). It's official world description was "Mythic Europe", and I always enjoyed the "Europe the way the inhabitants believed it to be" mindset in AM. You might try picking one up (they show up in my local used bookstore all the time) and seeing if there's enough historical value in there for you given that the period is sorta early.

And yes, a Timetables of History is indespensible for all sorts of things. Plus, it's fun to read.

Oh, and who doesn't love http://www.hyperhistory.com?
Jason Kottler -Ultrablamtacular!