News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Price of a good wagon and horses... and other stuff

Started by Ashren Va'Hale, April 16, 2003, 06:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashren Va'Hale

Ok, My current character managed to end up extremely rich after the last campaign and now hes spending his 250 gold. Imperial standard.

He's trying to stay low in his travels so he is posing as a merchant, and no merchant is complete without his wagon... Only question is how cmuch would it cost for a good wagon and horse team?

Also, what other good stuff should he buy with all that cash besides Master Work weapons and armor of which he already has ....

Keep in mind that by getting this rich he has pissed off gelure (150 Gold bounty on his head dead, 250 gold alive) and the Otamarluk government (50 gold bounty... just dead). This is the reason for the low profile cover of merchant and nothing permanently established.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Brian Leybourne

There's no price for wagons in the book, but somewhere around 1gp for a servicable one or up to 5-10g for a fancy one seems about right. Cart horses are around 8s each Imperial standard.

As for what to sell, well, there's all those slaves who thought you freed them, right? ;-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Farseer415

Cart horses are around 8s each Imperial standard.

I know the book list cart horses for 8 s imperial.  But I think this is a little low.  It takes quite a bit to train a horse to drive  aka pull wagons.  I have not personally trained horses, have not had that honor yet, but I have spoken to people who do it for a profession.  Over the hundreds of years training really has not changed.  Sorry don't mean to go on an on about it but I think the cost would closer to that of a riding horse.

Just my 2 cents

Farseer

Valamir

8s is ALOT of money by the standard of the common man, so I don't think a cart horse is being slighted by the cost.

As for what to buy...obviously whatever product he wants to pretend like he's selling.  A wagon load of grain...or a bunch of tin and iron tools and utensils...or textiles.  Silk and carpets and things like that would allow him to move in somewhat higher circles.

If he's a wealthy merchant than alot of jewelry would be in order.

Salamander

Quote from: Farseer415Cart horses are around 8s each Imperial standard.

I know the book list cart horses for 8 s imperial.  But I think this is a little low.  It takes quite a bit to train a horse to drive  aka pull wagons.  I have not personally trained horses, have not had that honor yet, but I have spoken to people who do it for a profession.  Over the hundreds of years training really has not changed.  Sorry don't mean to go on an on about it but I think the cost would closer to that of a riding horse.

Just my 2 cents

Farseer

Haven't got the book in front of me, but I have to agree with Brian and Valamir, 8sp standard weight is a lot of money for the average peasant. And the training of a cart horse is much simpler than a riding horse.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Ashren Va'Hale

so now I have the cart horses and the cart and the stuff to sell, what should I buy for fun with the remaining 200+ gold?
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Salamander

You wanna buy low sell high, other than that all bets are off. Check with your Seneschal to see what you can buy for x in your current locale and sell for x+ elsewhere. You have to make it convincing. If you are trying to sell "English armour in Milan" you are going to get found out.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Valamir

Keeping a sizeable stash of bribe money would also be sensible.  Even today that's how a sizeable portion of business gets done.  The reason many official positions were so highly sought after is because of the opportunity for graft they presented.

Depending on the supposed social class of the character's disguise and the region of the world you're in, it might be more appropriate to convert most of the cash into jewelry and other fine things rather than carry it in actual coin.