News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

SWM iso unopposed one-roll = one-exchange systems

Started by Garbanzo, April 27, 2003, 09:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garbanzo

All-

I'm looking for systems to reference as I plow ahead with mine own game.

Desired: Games with all-unopposed resolution where that one roll covers an exchange, not a swing.  
That is, if I beat my target by 3, he takes three points damage.  If I miss my target by 3, I take the damage.

Whispering Vault, for example, is all-unopposed, but the players roll for attack and then for defense.

I'm drawing a blank; I'm sure there are plenty of systems out there that do this...

Thanks,
-Matt

greyorm

The one that immediately comes to mind is SAGA, by WotC -- it is out-of-print, but you can probably find the basic rules on-line with a quick search, or grab either the Marvel or Dragonlance versions of it off E-bay.

SAGA is completely unopposed, in that the GM never plays cards for NPCs, only the players play cards for their characters -- so it never matters what the NPCs do, only what the PCs do because it is their choices and actions that count. I've always liked that concept.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Thomas Tamblyn

Do you mean scene-based resolutoon rather than task based?  (Roll for the fight, not for each sword swing)

If so you might want to look at The Pool and OctaNe, which are two of the more prominent games (here at least) to take that approach.  Everway would be worth a look too if you can find a copy.

Bob McNamee

Trollbabe.

All player rolls, no GM rolls. All unopposed. All conflict resolution with different paces for different likes and situations.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Garbanzo

Dag, Bob.

All the hanging out I do around here and I missed this bit about Trollbabe?

Looks like ol' Edwards is getting more of my hard-earned dosh.

(Plus SAGA, which I'm quite excited to read, plus Everway (off in a basement box) plus octaNe...)

-Matt