News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dusi's Wings

Started by Nev the Deranged, May 01, 2003, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nev the Deranged

I just read a short story in Realms of Fantasy magazine (April 2003) by Maya Lassiter called Dusi's Wings.  It's pretty cool Sorcerer material.  It concerns a young street performer and the fallen angel Dusi who seeks to seduce her and drink her life.  Dusi can take human form, but he prefers to roam the city as a flock of pigeons.  The story has sort of a twist, even though you can see it coming.

Anyway, if you can find the story it's worth a read, and only a few pages long.

Nev the Deranged

Wow... the next issue of RoF I picked up, I was flipping through to the back where the reviews are, as I always do before getting into the meat (the stories), and I caught a glimpse of one of KenzerCo's Kalamar sourcebooks.  I stopped to read the review, and what do you know, the review right before it was for Sorcerer & Sword!  And quite a favorable review it was, too.  It starts right off the bat with the words "The best paper and dice roleplaying game currently on the market, Sorcerer, has it's first supplement out."  Wow.  What a way to kick off a review!
I'm realizing that this must be an old review, if it's for S&S, and you all have probably already seen or talked about it, but hey, I'm slow.   Apparently Eric T. Baker, who wrote the reviews, really digs Ron's work, and isn't shy about praising it.  Which is kewl.

Aaaanyway, I'm pretty much babbling... so I'll shut up now...

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Yeah, I have been very flattered by Eric's reviews in Realms of Fantasy, as he pretty much came out of the blue as a big fan of Sorcerer (sort of like you, Nev). It was one of those non-solicited, totally unexpected things.

I'm also happy that a lot of people seem to have picked up the game on the basis of those reviews. I only wish that they had an on-line archive that I could link to.

Best,
Ron

Nev the Deranged

LOL... funny you should put it that way.  I didn't come out of the blue- I read the reviews =>

Nev the Deranged

I bought a new bookshelf the other day, and was unpacking some of my stuff... ran across some old favorites that I realized would be great Sorcerer material, especially S&S... thought I'd throw some names out for the 'ell of it.  I don't know which I may have already mentioned before, so bear with me if I'm redundant.

The Legend of Tarik by Walter Dean Myers, in which young Tarik seeks his vengeance on El Muerte for killing his family.  His mentor sends him questing for the sword Serq, the Crystal of Truth, and the tireless demon steed Zinzinbadio.  But these artifacts alone will not be enough to defeat the evil warlord- Tarik must also learn the hard lessons of life and adulthood before he will be able to fulfil his destiny.

Superstitious by um.. that Goosebumps guy.  What would you do if you had inherited ALL of the world's demons?  What if the only thing keeping them at bay was your strict adherence to EVERY superstition of every culture throughout history?  It would make your love life pretty rough, that's what.

Fragments by James F. David.  What if someone created a machine that combined several people's demons into one incredibly powerful entity?  And what if that entity decided it didn't like you?  Okay, that's not exactly what this book is about, but what if?

A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny.  One of my favorite stories of all time, Jack the Ripper and his faithful familiar Snuff team with Sherlock Holmes to battle Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman (among others) to prevent Cthulhu and his cronies from returning to our dimension.  Brilliantly sick illustrations by the inimitable Gahan Wilson make this a double treat.

The Starfollowers of Coramonde by Brian Daley.  The followup to the teriffic Doomfarers of Coramonde, in which American GI Gil MacDonald and his tank platoon are magically transported to the mystical realm of Coramonde.  As it turns out, phosphorous grenades have the same wavelength of light as sunlight, which we all know demons can't stand... anybody up for raiding Hell?  This second installment could have been made into a major epic, but the story is tight, with plenty of sorcerous happenings and bloody battles that seem lifted right from a hellacious RP campaign (and for all I know, they were).

The Dragon and the Unicorn by A.A. Attanasio.  Attanasio's Radix changed my life when I read it.  This one doesn't quite do that but it is an amazing telling of the legend of Myrddin and Artur, from myriad points of view including the gods themselves.  A vast tale painted with broad strokes, yet the details that arise are a marvel to behold.  A daedal work of imagined history that I can't recommend enough.

All right, that's enough for now... sorry to bore everyone with my need to share =>