News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Page Jumping?

Started by Brian Leybourne, May 05, 2003, 01:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Leybourne

Is there any way to jump to a specific page when you are searching through a long list of pages?

If I'm doing a search, and the results are spread across a lot of pages, the only options I get to move between pages is something like:

1, 2, 3, ... , 71, 72, 73 or Next.

If I laborously move forward from the start or backwards from the end, I may end up with something like:

1, 2, 3, ... , 21, 22, 23, ... , 71, 72, 73 or Next, but that's after a lot of nexting.

This makes it very tricky if I suspect that what I'm looking for may be on a page somewhere in the middle, etc. Is there any way I can get around this issue?

Thanks,
Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Christopher Kubasik

Hi Clinton,

Actually, I came up with same need just a few days ago while trying to track down some old S&Sword threads.  So I was wondering about this, too.

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

Mike Holmes

There may be an easier or more elegant way to do this, but one thing you can do is just manipulate the URL. For example, this URL will take you to the second page in the thread about women at the Forge:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=6147&start=15

Note the number 15. The "start" parameter tells the database to look at the page starting with the fifteenth message. If you want to go to, say the eleventh page, just replace 15 with 150. You can, in fact start at any point you like. So you can just pick some arbitrarily large number, and start reading from there.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Christopher Kubasik

Thanks Mike.

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

Brian Leybourne

Thanks Mike, that'll work for Chris, when you're looking through a specific thread.

But will that work on search results? I'll have to check.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Clinton R. Nixon

Apologies for not replying to this yet. I haven't thought of a good way to alleviate this issue that's aesthetically pleasing and technically smart.

For now, I've used Mike's method many a time.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Mike Holmes

To do it with the search, click on the second page to get the "Start" parameter to come up, and then do the same.

In general this works on principle. Find a link that does what you want, but not precisely to where you want. Click on it. Then look at the URL that pops up. Use noggin to figure out what portion needs changing to get where you're going. Usually it's in plain english. If not, then don't fiddle, or you're likely to mess stuff up.

Play with this enough and you'll become adept at navigating and all sorts of other tricks.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.