News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Help needed for public event

Started by morgue, May 01, 2003, 05:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morgue

Again, thanks for all the comments, much appreciated, will try to squeeze time out to respond more... in the mean time, here's the poster I'm thinking of using - it'd just be a printed-on-coloured-paper deal, simple for the store or me to generate.  I think it actually communicates a heck of a lot, but I am very open to suggestions and feedback of the great or small variety.

-------

[big font:] OUTWIT the Princess
[big font:] KISS the Dragon
[mid font:] (or any other way you want to play it.)
[small font:] In a role-playing game, YOU make the adventure.
[small font:] Find out more on SATURDAY 39th MAY
[small font:] Demonstrations and information ALL AFTERNOON
[small font:] at Ottakar’s George Street, Edinburgh

--------
morgue
My given name is Morgan but everyone calls me morgue. (Well, except my beloved grandma.)
I contribute to
Gametime, a New Zealand RPG groupblog

morgue

Hi all.  The event is this Saturday and it's coming along nicely.

I've just posted the first 'microscenario' to a thread on RPGnet, and others will follow, so if any of you are interested in helping out/having a look please jump across to:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=929715#post929715

RPGnet allows unregistered posting, if any of you are moved to comment.

You will see that I have gone for interesting colour and incident - putting in meaningful choices ended up being too hard for what I was wanting to do.  I'm hoping that the relative complexity of the situation here will show off one advantage of RPGs over computer games, namely 'I really can do anything I want'.

Cheers
morgue
My given name is Morgan but everyone calls me morgue. (Well, except my beloved grandma.)
I contribute to

morgue

[this is a cut and paste of my post to RPGnet - sorry about the duplication, but time is short - I want to give feedback to these boards for the great ideas and support they've given me - morgue]

Finally got around to writing up a followup email to the store I did an RPG demo day in. Here 'tis, for your collective information, because I don't have time to write a separate post about this, sorry.

Also don't have time to find links to previous threads where I talk about what it was, but in short:
* in Ottakar's, a chain bookstore in Edinburgh
* _primary_ goal: sell D&D Adventure Games
* I manned a desk for about four hours, armed with a couple of micro-scenarios I had written myself

Any comments and feedback and suggestions gratefully received.

-----------

sorry this followup has taken so long, I've just been through an incredibly busy couple of weeks at work.

First, thanks for the support and interest in the RPG demo day. Very much appreciated. I've heard a lot of goodwill from the local RPG community, too, they all think it's great that someone's doing something to try and bring in the 'next generation'.

The day itself was a very positive experience despite the relatively small turnout. Although the response was obviously not as large as I would have wanted, it wasn't too far off what I expected. In any case, the way RPGs work is by finding 'core people' who then involve their friendship group, so even a small number of hits can have ripple effects.

The people who turned up were about half new young people and half 'lapsed' gamers. The new young people were in their low teens, had heard something or other about gaming or seen the products on the wall at your store, and were curious and keen to find out more. Lord of the Rings, I think, helped. There were two of these guys that played in demos, another two I spoke to, and another one who wasn't there on the day but has since emailed me based on the brochure we made. In each case they'd like to be part of something but can't take it on themselves to organise things. Of the two who played in demos, one played with his father, and the pair of them seemed to have a great time. They bought the Adventure Game box before leaving. The other one who played in demos was very enthusiastic and has since emailed me to suggest ways of finding people to play with, and he has said he will buy another of the Adventure Boxes. I didn't have any extended contact with any of the others. These, by the way, were the people brought in by the advance publicity on the noticeboard and in the store.

The other half were 'lapsed' gamers who used to play, back in the day (there are three on your staff, including you!). I spoke to three non-staff 'lapsed' gamers across the day, two of whom played in a demo (with Craig from your store and my friend Morag.) They seemed all fired up and there was much conversation along the lines of 'I'd forgotten how much fun this is'. I made sure the two involved in the demo had my contact details but neither has contacted me so far. The lapsed gamers were the casual browsers who stuck around to see what was up.

In other words, we've got a pretty good sense of the demographic response: older people passing by who were reminded of their gaming history, and young teens who have heard about the event and came specifically to find out about it.

A peripheral outcome is the increased awareness of the presence of RPGs in Ottakars, due to my talking about the event to gamers in Edinburgh and also online (I know that several people on RPGnet have gone looking for nearby Ottakkars branches).

Another event of note - a mother wanting advice on a 'murder mystery' game for her young daughters for a birthday party. I've been in email contact with her since and she's sorted something out, so it was a nice thing to stumble upon. While it didn't directly relate to anything we were doing, there might be flow-on effects (her son, she says, has roleplayed in the past so he might be re-invigorated at prompting from mum) and she certainly ended up with a positive impression of Ottakars!

Anyway. What, if anything, to do next?

My feeling is that the instore worked, but the low response made it only marginally worthwhile. Much better publicity would be needed to make a repeat a sensible option. Publicity, of course, is not an easy thing to pull together. So, hmmm.

My instinct is that a continuing occasional presence instore would, however, bring a cumulative response - over time, more and more people would stumble upon it or hear about it and be able to come, and repeated encounters would make them more likely to get involved.

My current idea is to hold something regular, but smaller, specifically for the two young people who've emailed me looking for games. Perhaps something 12-2 every saturday or sunday for a couple of weeks? Perhaps using the second table instore, on the balcony, so we would be less disruptive to the store but still maintaining an Ottakars presence? This would be advertised on the noticeboard, and hopefully over the few weeks more people would turn up and at the end of the few weeks there'd be enough people that they could go off and found their own little group somewhere.

Additionally, the continued presence of games instore will click with the lapsed gamer crowd, and perhaps something else would emerge out of this (something outside Ottakar's hours and probably involving beer).

I think a good avenue for publicity to hit the 'young teens' demographic is to hit up secondary schools, maybe even writing letters specifically to english teachers or drama teachers. There are lots of good angles to take and lots of people who'd enjoy it if they only knew it existed!

Anyway, that's all the thoughts I have time for right now. Any and all feedback gratefully received (especially whether or not those Adventure Games sold).

cheers
Morgan
(PS - I'm also a bit keen to organise something for any from your store who are brave/foolish enough to give it a go - there were lots of curious noises from all and sundry (including but not limited to the two guys who've done this before), and I'd love to run a game for a such a cool mix of people. I'm thinking a Jeeves-and-Wooster style escapade might be a good piece of fun... do think about it, anyway, if there's any enthusiasm I'm all for it.)
I contribute to