News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How does one find and make use of a good editor?

Started by Ron Edwards, May 06, 2003, 04:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Opsimath has some questions.

They were originally presented in Any freelance RPG editors out there?, but things got confusing - it turns out that his goal is:

Quotea request for advice on finding, contracting, and determining competence of a freelance editor.

Which is to say, not soliciting an editor, but for advice on doing so. A few answers got posted, but considering that the thread shifted around a little, let's see if the general topic can get some more air play. I'd especially appreciate it if people who regularly pay for editing services could help him out.

Best,
Ron

Opsimath

Much appreciated!

Here are some of my questions, collected from the original thread:

Quote from: OpsimathHow do you go about finding an editor of professional skill, if you don't have the resources to hire one for part-time work, and don't know one that you can ask favors of?

What sort of credentials does one usually require of a prospective editor? A sample page? A resumé listing published products that are currently in print? More? Less?

Is there some sort of work-for-hire contract that is used for this sort of thing? And/or a non-disclosure agreement? If anyone can point me to a source for such things, it would be much appreciated.

Flowing from the second question, how does one determine if a freelance editor has done their job well? Presumably, an employee does their job well, or they are let go. I'm wondering if there is something more than strict personal morals stopping a freelance editor from saying, "[flippityflipflip] I've read every word, it's all perfect, don't change a thing; give me my money now / thanks for the free copy."

Matt Wilson

Hey:

Is it just me, or would the resource library be a great place for copy editors to post contact info? there's that new category called "game support." Might be a useful thing.

Dav

Okay, sorry for the confusion...

1) Credentials.  A college degree is nice, but not necessary.  For me, personally, what I like is someone who will catalog the changes in the text.  For instance, Adobe has a great system for being able to earmark changed text as alternate colors and use either hyperlinks or an index format for showing changes or suggested changes.  Thus, a working knowledge of software is a MUST.  One of the best things you can do is to ask your editor to edit all communications between yourself and the prospective editor... and they get bonus points if they ask you for a style-sheet before you offer one.  Resume` if they have one, of course.

2) Yes, there are work-for-hire contracts, NDA's, the whole nine yards all available online (just Google the hell out of the terms right there and you'll get plenty of options).  HOWEVER, largely, NDA's are a big waste of time.  Work-for-hire is a big must, mainly so everyone knows that everyone is on the up-n-up... but don't kill yourself over an NDA.

3) A good work-for-hire contract will protect you somewhat.  Other than this, hopefully having one's name attached to a product does motivate one to do a good job.  Barring this... no, there isn't a whole lot preventing an editor from giving you the screw.

4) As for finding... not hard.  You are in the right place.  I have a friend who is a copyeditor for catalogs, and I'm certain more than a handful of others around here can point you in a direction.  Overall, it becomes one of those "somebody help me" things, and eventually, somebody does.  

That being said, I am going to sleep now.

Dav

Valamir

Hey Dav, could you comment a little more on the work for hire contracts you indicate are a must.  What do they accomplish for the publisher given the scope of the $ involved that's better than just relying on having a reliable referral from someone trustworthy?  Or is this more for those occassions where you go in blind and get an editor who perhaps just responded to an ad or something?

Dav

All right, here is our main WFH.  The next reply contains the duty details for an editor (note: I wrote up the duty thing just now, because I could find my normal one off-hand... therefore, that duties sheet may not be something you want to copy en masse... but the WFH is golden, steal away!).  Specifically, I was referring to something such as this.

The only portion missing from the Duties bit would be the remedies and pains inflicted due to a Breach.  No biggie.  Void the contract, take a limb, whatever.

Anyone who wants: feel free to copy, use, and steal any portion or the entirety of the contract!

Dav

Work-For-Hire

This agreement is entered into this DATE by and between Apophis Consortium based at St. Charles, Illinois at 60174, hereinafter referred to as Apophis and EDITOR/WRITER'S NAME, hereinafter referred to as BITCH.

BITCH, pursuant to the provisions of this agreement, is retained by Apophis to provide publishing services for Apophis. The specific services to be provided to Apophis by the BITCH are:
See Professional Services Agreement, attached. [Dav’s note: AGREEMENT OUTLINES DUTIES TO BE PERFORMED.]

1.   As full and complete payment for BITCH's services and for the discharge of all BITCH's obligation hereunder, Apophis shall pay BITCH according to the following schedule:

A.   FEES: A retainer of $$$.$$ for performance of the services specified in 1, above.

B.   EXPENSES: BITCH will provide at its own all ordinary and personal items as may be necessary or appropriate to the rendering of the services herein contemplated. Apophis will not be responsible for payment or reimbursement of any fees or expenses of BITCH, excepting for those fees and expense items specifically authorized or otherwise set forth in this agreement and as specified in services / work. Apophis will reimburse BITCH for all reasonable expenses incurred which are incidental to the services performed hereunder and which have been agreed upon in advance by Apophis and BITCH.
3.   Billing and Payment: Payment of fees and reimbursement for expenses incurred will be made within 30 days after receipt of an invoice by Apophis. This invoice for no more than $$$ will be submitted no later than DATE. If expenses are incurred, said expenses will be invoiced no later than DATE [Dav’s note: USUALLY ONE MONTH AFTER LAST INVOICE, THIS ENTIRE SECTION MAY NOT APPLY TO AN EDITOR OR WRITER, BUT WE HAVE OCCASIONALLY REIMBURSED SPECIFIC ARTISTS FOR EXOTIC MATERIALS SHOULD WE REQUEST THEM].

4.   All invoices must specify the invoice total and period covered. Expenses must be itemized and substantiated by the attachment of receipts for all expense items.

5.   It is understood that BITCH is an independent professional contractor and that BITCH will not in any event be construed as or hold themself to be employees of Apophis. It is further agreed that at no time will the BITCH or the work efforts of the BITCH be under the supervision or control of Apophis, although BITCH agrees to comply with all reasonable requests and regulations applicable to any other business invitee of Apophis. It is also agreed that BITCH, as an independent contractor, is not restricted to working exclusively for Apophis during the term of the agreement.

6.   Ownership or Work. Works shall be considered made-for-hire under the United States Copyright Act and, at all stages of development, shall be and remain the sole and exclusive property of Apophis. BITCH further agrees to take all actions and execute and deliver all documents requested by Apophis in order to evidence the assignment of Apophis' rights in and to the Work.

7.   BITCH is responsible for Workers Compensation, Disability, Unemployment, Automobile Insurance, and any other insurance required by the State of Residence, or the State of Incorporation for Apophis (Delaware). BITCH is also responsible for payment of State and Federal taxes, and any other applicable tax. BITCH is not eligible for any benefits Apophis may provide for its employees.

8.   The parties hereto acknowledge that during the course of BITCH's service to Apophis pursuant to this agreement, it will become necessary or desirable for Apophis to disclose to BITCH a substantial amount of Apophis Proprietary Information. BITCH fully understands that the maintenance of such information in strict confidence and the confinement of its use to Apophis is of vital importance to Apophis. BITCH agrees that the information and knowledge divulged to the BITCH by Apophis or which BITCH acquires in connection with or as a result of BITCH's services hereunder will be regarded by BITCH as confidential.
9.   BITCH recognizes that all records and copies of records touching Apophis' operations, investigations and business made or received by BITCH during the period of this agreement are and will be the exclusive property of Apophis, and BITCH will keep the same at all times in BITCH's custody and subject to BITCH's control, and will surrender the same to Apophis immediately upon the request of Apophis, or upon completion to agreed upon services.

10.   This agreement is effective on the above date entered into and will terminate upon satisfactory completion of agreed upon services, but no later than six (6) months after the effective date. Apophis or BITCH may terminate this agreement without cause upon thirty (30) days written notification to the other party at the address shown in this agreement. Apophis may terminate this agreement immediately upon BITCH's refusal to, or inability to perform under the agreement or BITCH's breach of this agreement. Further, this agreement shall be terminated automatically in the event of BITCH's death. On termination of this agreement, Apophis’ obligation to pay BITCH, except for services already accrued or incurred, will forthwith cease and terminate.

11.   If mutually agreeable to Apophis and BITCH, this agreement may be extended. Such extension will be documented by written amendment, duly signed and dated by both parties.

12.   Neither party to this agreement may assign, sell or transfer any part thereof to any other firm or entity without first obtaining the written permission of the other party hereto.

13.   This agreement has been negotiated, executed and delivered in the State of Illinois. The parties hereto agree that all questions pertaining to the validity and interpretation of this agreement will be determined in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois.
.....This agreement and referenced attachments constitute the entire contract of the parties hereto and supersedes any prior agreement between the parties.
Dated ________, and executed at City____________, State __________________
By:.....PERSON'S NAME, for APOPHIS.....By:___BITCH'S NAME _____
______________________________.....   ________________________________
Signature......................................................   Signature
______________________________....   ._________BITCH_______________
Title......................................................   SS# OR FEIN #

Dav

And, yes, a lawyer has gone over the above WFH.  So don't fear there.

Dav

AGREEMENT OF DUTIES
(Professional Services Agreement)

The aforementioned BITCH (herein Editor or BITCH) hereby agrees to execute all defined duties (Editing) for Apophis as defined below:

A)   Editing.  This shall include correction of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style as given by the STYLE SHEET.  Further, all changes shall be cataloged and delivered to Apophis.  

B)   Any stylistic or sentence-flow considerations must be either noted, or corrected, with accompanying catalog showing reasons why these selections were made.  Proposed changes must also leave the original as comparison.

C)   Significant rewriting shall not be accorded a position of Author for the Work.  Rather, BITCH shall be named as sole Editor, or Chief Editor, should the efforts so merit.

Payment will consist of $.03-.07 per word, paid on a sliding scale.  Apophis reserves the right to increase payment to the Editor without notice.  Base payment will be contracted at $.03 per word, in USD.  Additionally, the Editor is granted three (3) complimentary copies of the finished Work, once published.  Payment will be received by BITCH no later than (21) days after Apophis receives the edited Work.

The Editor shall have (45) days to make any changes and complete any Editing from the Date that Apophis receives a signed Work-For-Hire contract.