News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The MOST BROKEN VAGARY???

Started by tunaman9000, April 30, 2003, 01:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unsane

Quote from: Mokkurkalfe
A giant leprechaun is like a tank, and should be fought with anti-tank methods.

Classic.
No.

Gary_Bingham

I consider this vagary problematic also. What I am planning to do with it in my games is as follows

Additional Limits on Magic
- No matter can be created through magic (though it can be summoned)
- Any alteration to living tissue/matter through Growth causes damage (a wound equal to the CTN of the spell – Toughness note:I've not really thought this damage through)

Growth - Expansion/Contraction. A sorcerer can cause expansion or contraction in an object by combining matter from one object to another to increase it's dimensions, or conversely removing matter from an object to decrease its dimensions. E.g. 2 gold coins could be combined to create a double sized coin though it would look identical to one of the originals barring the increase in size. Note the object to be absorbed must be of a similar material to the target though an exact match is not necessary. Thus Expansion/Contraction could be used to extract gold from coinage and then replace it with tin, but could not be used to replace gold with stone or water.

Angaros

I haven't really worked myself through the sorcery rules in detail, but as I see it, it would be pretty easy to create a couple of hundred pounds of gold...  A way to battle this is to include some kind of materials factor when manipulating or creating matter. In the old RM Companion I something called Alchemical Inertia Factors are used. Potent materials such as dragon's blood, mithril and gold have a high AIF, making them much harder to affect with magic -- but also more potent when such manipulations are successful. Something like this could perhaps be built into the TRoS sorcery system?
~: Jocke Andersson :~