News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I am a Sports Hero - Freebie RPG

Started by Zak Arntson, September 11, 2001, 12:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zak Arntson

http://zaknet.tripod.com/hmouse/games/sports.html">I am a Sports Hero

"roleplaying one of the worst comic ideas ever"

This game is all about playing a Sports-based superhero.  Which is about the suckiest1 ideas ever.  I know there are comics about sports out there.  This is not that.  This is roleplaying a superhero whose powers revolve around a sport.

On the technical side, it's a VERY rules-light Narrativist game.  The only mechanic is a quick Fortune one that allows Players and the Gamemaster to easily intercede and take control of the story.

I would suggest you play this with people you trust.

1 Normally I wouldn't stoop to use the word "suckiest."  But check out http://www.ape-law.com/GAF">Gone & Forgotten and find the Skateman article.  Then you'll believe.

Matt Gwinn

interesting idea.  back when I played GURPS Supers a lot I made a couple sports super heroes.  One used tennis rackets to bounce around energy balls.  Another was a hockey guy that went around on rollerblades with a bladed hockey stick.

I think a narrativist style Supers game would be more true to comics.  I have yet to see a Supers game that accurately matches comics.

,Matt
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Jared A. Sorensen

I think a narrativist style Supers game would be more true to comics. I have yet to see a Supers game that accurately matches comics.

Please describe, in detail if you can, what you mean by this...

- J, who wants to give it a shot.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Zak Arntson

On 2001-09-12 16:47, Jared A. Sorensen wrote:
I think a narrativist style Supers game would be more true to comics. I have yet to see a Supers game that accurately matches comics.

Please describe, in detail if you can, what you mean by this...

- J, who wants to give it a shot.

Wait ... I thought I just wrote one.  If by "accurately matches comics" you mean "accurately matches one of the lousiest types of comics."

I would contend that there's too many types of comics (superhero ones alone, even) to allow for a single accurate game.  Do you want super-super powers?  Non-powered vigilantes?  What kind of premise?  Good vs. evil?  Coping as an abnormal person?  Etc. etc. etc.

Oh, and check out I am a Sports Hero's mechanic Snappy Banter and Evil Parlance.  I think they're pretty neat and promote a sort of competitive storytelling (don't know if it's Narrativism with a capital N).

Matt Gwinn

Let me first say that I am refering to your sterotypical Hero comic like the X-men or spiderman and not ones like green arrow or Checkmate.  

What I meant was this, most super hero games limit you with specific powers and limitations on said powers.  In comics heroes are continuously creating new and enhanced uses for their powers.  Comics allow for adaptability and sponenaity in regards to powers.  Most (if not all) Super Hero games have specific uses for a hero's powers and only allow expansion of thosee powers through the expenditure of experience and even then there are limitations.  I feel that a narrativist game would allow for more freedom and versaility in a heroe's powers.

I've played many supers games and they always end in extended combats.  A narrativist game would greatly reduce the time necessary for combat and allow more time for actual roleplaying.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Jared A. Sorensen

Ah, nevermind then. The game you want is already over at Clinton's site.

http://www.acid-reflex.com/panels
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Clinton R. Nixon

Let me note that's not completely finished - but will be, and rather soon. I have been working on it. :smile:
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jack Spencer Jr

Ya know, not to hijack the thread or anything (lord know I'd never do that) but the title confused me at first.

I saw the words "sports hero" and I thought it'd be an RPG based on the sports fiction found in the pulp mags and other places.  You know, Tug McGraw the RPG.  That sort of thing.  That'd be an interesting idea.  The idea being discussed here, while not without it's own merit, is just super heroes again but with a slight twist, like super heroes without the silly costumes.

I don't know about the sports RPG idea.  It is different, though.  Perhaps it deserves a separate thread.