News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

DragonGrace: Version 3

Started by dragongrace, May 08, 2003, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragongrace

http://www.geocities.com/dragongrace2003/v3/default.html

Well I've deconstructed examined and rebuilt DragonGrace.  And while I did go down the road of combinign several existing games, I found that it didn't fit my idea of the game and the direction I wanted to go.  I mucked around for a little bit and developed an idea that really appealed to me and focuses on what I would like to see in a game.  I've drafted it out at the above address.

I think with some minor tweaks and edits, it's a far superior version to what I had before.  Any opinions are welcome.

My apologies for usign Geocities in this case.  Just don't debug and you'll get the page correctly without their garbage.

JOE--
happily wearing the hat of the fool.

Mike Holmes

I didn't see anything on how you get EXP. Do you intend to have something like you had previously? Or did I just miss it in there, somewhere?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

dragongrace

Yeah, Experience was going to be like before.  I felt that promoted writing or at least interaction in order to further the character along.

also,
For GM run games I was thinking along the lines of a GM assigning time limited traits to characters for story hooks or whatever.  But a player could buy them off line anything else if they didn't want to play along.

I think that v3 is a playable skeleton, that could stand a little fleshing out in time.  I am going to run a few characters under these rules do find out where glaring holes are to me.  But others may see them before I.

JOE--

Mike Holmes

Quote from: dragongraceYeah, Experience was going to be like before.  I felt that promoted writing or at least interaction in order to further the character along.

The text needs to have that in there, or at least refer to the section in the old rules where it they are.

Other than that, I think that the resolution needs to be stated a bit more clearly. Some general rewriting for presentation. But functionally, I agree that you could move on to playtesting.

I have to say that strict Karma comparison rules leave me a little cold, but that's just my own personal preference.

Mike

dragongrace

I have updated the page to include the Experience chart that I had before, I also renamed the example of play to Example of conflict resolution and gave a better example of play.

Karma comparison, i felt to retain the original feel was the better choice.  Stopping to roll dice in mid story seemed more disruptive and less player driven rather than

1: "I want to do x, are you going to prevent it?"
2: "Yeah, I use traits x and y for a reason against it"
1: "I can trump that with my own x and y"

Of course I added in as a matter of determination in immediate conflict resolution the ability to spend points on the fly for the purpose of winning a conflict.  Kind of like bidding, but both sides loose their bid. (as an incentive to let conflicts stand unless you are very determined.)

so the above converstaion may continue:

2: I'll put 15 points into the mix to prevent you.
1: I don't want to give up any points so all right, the story will go like this then.

Of course an alternative to spending points smiply as points would be to spend points for decision dice and whoever is wililng to "purchase" the most dice has a greater chance of winning the conflict.

It could then go as:
player 1's total is 100.
player 2's total is 90.

Player 2 purchases 4 dice in an effort to win the conflict.  Rolling 4 give him a total of (4,4,2,5) 15, bring his conflict total to 105.  Bidding/Rolling wars could ensue until the conflict is resolved, or a secret bid could take place and the rolls and totals added to produce a result. etc.

JOE--

Mike Holmes

I think that you should stick to your guns. I do think that in the online media that instant resolution is a great strength. Just bugs me because I have a fetish for dice (randomization, really).

Mike