News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

An open message

Started by Ron Edwards, September 11, 2001, 11:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

To all,

I have realized that my attempt to foster a "friendly Uncle Ron" approach has backfired. It worked fine for the PDF format, but not with the book.

Recently, I have found myself apologizing for my own work, pleading clemency, and humbly accepting suggestions on what and how to publish material that I own.

That is not going to continue. Here's how it is.

1) Call attention to errors or vagueness in the work, and I'll thank you and post them on the website.

2) Talk about how play went, and I'll offer suggestions about how to improve things that didn't go well. This is a back-and-forth dialogue; we are fellow role-players. I'll accept disagreements or suggestions about all such things. The best of this material will be credited and posted on the website.

3) Offer to help the Cause by running demos or otherwise repping or helping with the game, and I'll thank you and post acknowledgments on the website.

4) If you submit mini-supplement material, I'll consider it seriously and also be happy to discuss it either by e-mail or on this forum.

5) If you offer work-for-hire services (editing, art), I will consider the offer seriously.

No other role-playing game company offers these things in the straightforward, no-frills fashion that I do. I consider that, and my support for others' efforts in role-playing publishing, to earn more than enough respect to justify the following statements.

1) If you tell me how I "should have" published or written my games, or what I should do with further material or revisions, I can only shrug.

2) If you object to a suggestion about role-playing (#2 above), on the basis that I should have told you about it in the book, I can only shrug.

If a person offers either of the above behaviors, then I am FORCED to take "publisher" approach in response - you bought it, thanks for your custom, and gee, what an interesting suggestion, how nice, good-bye.

Best,
Ron

[ This Message was edited by: Ron Edwards on 2001-09-11 11:43 ]

Time

Well said Ron.

You cannot be all things to all people.  

I have found that this is doubly so with gamers.

-Time

Jack Spencer Jr

Agreed.  Gamers seem to cantain the same sort of people who are comic book fans.  The sort of people who would say "Gosh-o-golly-gee wouldn't it be great if they made an X-Men movie." and then after it's made complain endlessly about what mistakes they've made in it, what they should've done with it, etc etc etc.

You can please some people some of the time but some people are unhappy if they're pleased.

jburneko

On 2001-09-11 11:22, Ron Edwards wrote:
1) If you tell me how I "should have" published or written my games, or what I should do with further material or revisions, I can only shrug.

2) If you object to a suggestion about role-playing (#2 above), on the basis that I should have told you about it in the book, I can only shrug.

And really, that's all you can do.  Anyone who expects you to do otherwise is just foolish.  What are you going to do?  Have a mass recall of sorcerer and rewrite it?  That would be foolish.

In the end it's your acomplishment.  It's your creative work.  You took it from conception to print all by yourself.  And I say Cheers to that.  It's more than most of us have done.

I think those of us who have made 'should have' comments, myself included, have come to know the man that it is Ron Edwards and it was a little disappointing not to see more of the person we've come to know and respect reflected personally in the book.  I don't even know if such a reflection is even possible.  

But ultimately Sorcerer probably has the best customer support out there and I hope people come to understand and respect that effort.  I certainly have.

Jesse