News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Woo hoo!

Started by Morfedel, May 09, 2003, 11:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

I just picked up my copy of TRoS!!!

dive, dive, dive... :)

Coplen

Congrats!

May you enjoy your games as much as I!

Morfedel

Ok, I did the quick skim last night before going to bed.

For priority A race, it says that is either a Fey-Sidhe or a Gifted-Sidhe. The Fey-Sidhe are elves... are they automatically Gifted as well? That is my assumption, but....

Also, I notice they mention in dialgue about playing races like Elves, halflings, Trolls... but in the Children of Wreyth section (spelling, I know), it lists stats for things like Elves and Dwarves and Halflings and Seelie and Unseelie... but none for Trolls. At ;least, not that I could see. Was this intentional, or is it in errata, or what?

And if it was left out intentionally, why is it listed as one of several possible races in earlier sections? :D

Thanks!

Jake Norwood

It's listed that you can play trolls? Trolls aren't anywhere in the main book at all? There is a whole section on troll spawn, and using the Seelie rules you can approximate pretty much anything, but I'm not so sure about playing trolls. It's true that in early versions of the game you could play a man-gol, but we took that out after seeing D&D 3E. Huh...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Morfedel

Well, it did say Troll-spawn, but I was pretty much calling it the same thing; and let's see....

Ok, I guess it wasnt clear to me: It said in the book things like playing Dwarves and elves and goblins and trolls... and in the later parts of the book, it has examples of dwarves, elves, halflings, and then I see a section on troll-spawn right after those - so it just seemed natural to me that, along with the others, it SHOULD have had stats too....

Ashren Va'Hale

theres a troll in OBAM that definetly would not be playable so I would say consider trolls as not playable. Troll spawn you could easily simulate given the rules but trolls... well when OBAM is out you'll see waht I mean
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Thorbrin

I finaly got my hands on the rule book too. After months of waiting my local gaming store finaly got me a copy. It has been torture lurking on this message board and others and not being able to comment on this game. I look forward to actualy playing.
My first impressions of the book are so far positive. I must say that I love the cover art of this book. It just stands out to me when its sitting on my shelf of gaming books.
Over the past few days I have begun too slowly absorb the info contained within. I am also going through the process of making a character and it looks promising.
One thing though, it might just be me(I am use to spoon fed RPG's D&D),but the rules for character generation are spread out a little to much. Please dont take this comment the wrong way, I am far from an expert on this subject but has anyone else noticed this?
I have read a lot about the complexity and power of the magic system on a variety of message boards(RPG.net,etc). So far I plan on just ignoring the magic system until I have a full grasp of the main rules.
Well thanks for this gem of a game Jake and Company.
Happy gaming everyone!
"That wich we do in life echoes in eternity!!"

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Ashren Va'Haletheres a troll in OBAM that definetly would not be playable so I would say consider trolls as not playable. Troll spawn you could easily simulate given the rules but trolls... well when OBAM is out you'll see waht I mean

Aww... you mean you wouldn't let anyone play the troll from OBAM? Stats a bit over the top, you think? ;-)

Morfedel, my vision of trolls (and thus OBAM's) is not the man-sized immune-to-everything-but-fire-and-acid troll from Dungeons and Dragons. They're something, well, bigger and scarier and who directly or indirectly spawned things like Gol and Vilkolak and Hef.

It's not your daddy's troll.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Brian Leybourne

Hey Thorbrin,

A few people make that same comment about character creation when they first pick up the book, but once you have done it a few times you'll find that it's really quite easy. The only complication that ever might come up is if you want to play a non-human (because then you have to refer to a different part of the book), but remember that they're very rare in TROS so it doesn;t actually come up that much (IME anyway).

Plus, if you have the book then you can use the Character Generator from the webpage, and that lets you make up characters very quickly, human or not.

Welcome to the forum!

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion