News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Death by Fire

Started by Mortaneus, May 09, 2003, 11:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mortaneus

Hello all,

I've been reading through TROS and noticed something...as far as I can tell, according to the damage tables, it's impossible to kill someone through fire damage.

The damage would be resolved on the general table, correct?  Well, aside from massive pain and shock, no bleeding is caused, meaning that you'll horribly injure them, but no damage that leads to death will be dealt.

Is it possible to kill someone through pure pain and shock?  From what I'm able to tell, the only two ways to die using the base damage system is to get a 'dead' result from a table, or for someone to bleed to death.

Mayhem1979

Just treat it as a common sense thing really...

2n'd or even 3rd degree burns won't really kill you if they're localized... 'cept maybe through  infection.  But if you cover someone in burning oil and they don't manage to put it out almost immediately , they're probably dead.  Or if they get trapped ina  burning building... or burnt at the stake... or whatever.

AsI said, just use your common sense as a GM.

Jake Norwood

Part of what makes it such a horrible way to die is that it takes a while...it's really innefficient.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Drastic

I don't recall if there's suffocation/drowning rules, but you can feel justified in applying them--a fair number of people who die by fire actually are mostly done in by lung damage by smoke inhalation--in effect, drowning without hope of surfacing.

After extensive burn damage, you can also hit people with a string of difficult checks against infection--a big part of that horrible inefficiency of how severe burns kill.

Bankuei

The skin melting off side-effect has real nasty effects too!  Anyone who is somehow able to survive without magical healing is good and screwed for life in terms of appearance.

Chris

arxhon

Quoteit's really innefficient

Charming thought.....

Add a free "Ugly" flaw, minor or major, if you feel it is required.

Jake Norwood

Quote from: arxhon
Quoteit's really innefficient

Charming thought.....

Add a free "Ugly" flaw, minor or major, if you feel it is required.

Ha, there's the soldier in me coming out again...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant