News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

HeroQuest weapons and armor

Started by dunlaing, May 02, 2003, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunlaing

Quote from: Mike Holmes
QuoteAnyhow, to get back to Dunlaing's point which I'm thinking might be a good way of making these things different again, the problem I'm having with it is I don't understand what you mean by "spending" AP. If you just mean that's the number you need to have the opponent loose, then, it sounds like you're just trying to get edges back into the game. Which is fine, but I think it's supposed ot be different. So, what am I missing?

Mike

Well, in Hero Wars (I haven't gotten my grubby hands on HeroQuest yet) you have the option of spending 7 AP to give your opponent a wound when you're involved in an Extended Contest.

My idea was to have the weapons and armor affect that cost. The normal rate is 7AP=1 Hurt. If your weapon is one better than my armor, your rate would become 6AP=1 Hurt. It does work like edges, but only for the purposes of applying wounds in the middle of an extended contest.

Mike Holmes

Hmm. So you only get the "edge bonus" to reduce the cost of a Hurt? So, if I'm about to send the opposing character to -28, and need the extra edge points to get him to that next bracket, I don't get them? Seems overly complicated, and non-realistic at the same time.

I like the idea of differentiating, but if I were to go with something like this, I'd probably just use edges.

On another note, just to re-clarify, can those Abilities which provide automatic augments be rolled instead? That is, can I forgo the automatic augment to take a roll for the amount of bonus like you could before? If so, does this take zero time as well, or does it take time like the previous rules?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ian Cooper

Quote from: Mike HolmesOn another note, just to re-clarify, can those Abilities which provide automatic augments be rolled instead? That is, can I forgo the automatic augment to take a roll for the amount of bonus like you could before? If so, does this take zero time as well, or does it take time like the previous rules? Mike

Your call, note that with all abilities you get the choide auto or rolled. Some abilities are 'always on' and don't take an unrelated action to use - these tend to be handled as auto augments for speed, but you could roll.

Out take on this so far has been automatic is the no risk benefit, you don't really have to describe it, rolled is a risky strategy and we would like you to say how you are going for the bigger bonus, and why you risk getting a minus.

Somy take on 'always on' and auto is can you describe an 'always on' benefit with a notion of risk i.e. not implying an action, but YMMV

Ian Cooper

Quote from: Mike Holmes
QuoteHere's a better question. Can a "normal" sword with it's "normal" +3 be used to augment a "Battle Boast" skill? If so, then the magical version would be worth +6 as an augment, right? Not just the +3 for the magic end, right?

Basically what I'm getting at is to wonder if there's something special about the magical part of the augment. If it can only be used to augment, and can only be used to augment the same things that "normal" bonuses can augment, there's not much different. Basically all swords can be thought of as +3 or higher if magical. I mean, other than the in-game color, there's nothing special under this system for magical augmenters.

Appropriate equipment gives you a bonus (sword for fighting, rope for climbing) so a sword might give you a bonus for a boast, but I might only count that as a +1. For it to be truly useful in boasting it would need to be showy, renowned,and that is all part of having an ability with it. So widowmaker would get +1 for being a sword and +2 for your ability of 17 total +3, but a sword just gets you +1. I would also let you use Widowmaker 17 as an ability outright "I draw widowmaker and watch them cower in fear..."