News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TRoS Group Hug: Part 2

Started by arxhon, May 11, 2003, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashren Va'Hale

Brian, on those costs for RPG's, were those in $US? I here the NZ US exchange is a bit hairy.

Also, That bush comment was asking for a good political debate sometime! I work in DC doing political analysis mostly international affairs stuff so let me know if you want to explain the comment in more detail sometime!!:)
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Ashren Va'HaleBrian, on those costs for RPG's, were those in $US?

No, we have our own money, we don't use US dollars :-)

Obviously if you convert with the exchange rate, the difference isn't as staggering, but the earning potential between the two countries is about the same (well, in my industry anyway), meaning that if I worked in the US I would expect to earn about the same salary in $US as what I earn in $NZ here. That makes RPG books 2-3 times dearer in New Zealand, which I consider unacceptable. It's usually cheaper to pay $US over the internet, and pay shipping, than to buy stuff here, which of course means NZ distributors aren't getting my money, thus they don't make as much money, thus they have to raise prices again...

Viscious circle. It sucks.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Ashren Va'Hale

That explains the cost discrepency then, thanks. For a while I thought you were holding $ value constant and my jaw dropped in amazement. That effect is still there somewhat given your explanation.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Lance D. Allen

Yet another TRoS sighting...

http://www.theferrett.com/rpg/

This site is a "gamer purity" test, and on the list of systems under system familiarity, I've seen several of the bigger ones from the indie scene, such as TRoS and Sorcerer. Just thought I'd share.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Ilvarin

I've been lurking about for around a month, waiting for my very own copy of The Book (que the choir). I am looking forward to jumping in with bith feet and Guiness in hand when I've finished reading it.
What do you know, still warm the blood that courses through my veins.

Vanguard

Beyond TROS being a new, shiny toy for us all.  I do believe something inherent about the game is responsible for the quality of chat over here.

TROS is what a lot of us had been waiting for.  Jake's example of choosing to fall off a cliff, knowing the 60 HP loss won't kill his character, typifies that for me.  

With TRO, no longer is combat the easy option, but, more than that, successfully playing TROS makes u feel like that hero you've been yearning to be - the excitement and adventure.  Surviving requires cool play - like in the films and books - as opposed to having more HPs than a third world country.

But for me, there was always a little guilt attached to feeling like that; like I was betraying the Gods of RPG, tossing away all that fun it'd provided me all those years ago.  I'm sorry D&D, but I've grown up, and I need to move on. (glances about in fear of starting a flame-war)

It was my dirty little secret. I wanted more. And TROS delivered. It's cool realising that someone out there shared your feelings, (non-homoerotic wink towards Jake) and even cooler to realise there was a thousand more (another non-dodgy wink at the rest of ya).

That's what I reckon makes these forums so pleasant to visit; it's meeting up with kindred spirits.

We're not dirty after all, nor perverted and despicable. We can be proud again.  We weren't wrong.  And TROS came to prove that.

Ladies and Gentlemen, good nite, and take care,

Marc
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger - or a cripple.