News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorceror and Sword combats

Started by Balbinus, May 12, 2003, 10:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Ah! I see.

The answer is that you're cancelling dice, as in the first example.

The problem lies in how people are interpreting the second example.

When player 2 (the loser of the roll) cancels all three of the other fellow's dice, he is effectively negating the entire roll, on both sides, because he's reduced his opponent's effectiveness to 0 victories. See my comments to dyjoots, above, about this.

The point is that the cancel-victories mechanic cannot change a roll's basic success or failure. That's a given; the roll spoke, and it spoke loudly. So player 2 is not effecting any kind of reversal by cancelling those three victories. He can only remove effectiveness of the winning roll, and since in this case he has enough saved victories to do it, he can remove all the effectiveness.

Best,
Ron

Tim Alexander

Hey Ron,

Cool, I think I'm with ya. I got hung up on the "buy off one or more victories," which I'm guessing referenced the use of saved victories in general, but not the specific example at hand. So to negate a Total Victory with saved victories, you'll always need to have enough to completely negate his dice. Otherwise you're looking at an admittedly smaller, but still total, victory. Right?

-Tim

Ron Edwards