News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Faster Ranged Attacks

Started by Mortaneus, May 14, 2003, 03:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Quote from: Mortaneus
In a second you fire, no more MP dice refresh unless it's the second in which you start firing, but by firing the MP you DO have aren't necessarily used up.  The recoil is the number of dice you lose out of your pool per shot.

I'm not quite following you. Maybe because it's early, or maybe because I'm all a swoon because I'm about to see the Matrix...fro free.
Anyway, could you drop me an example of what you mean?
Be Seeing You,

Ben

Mortaneus

Quote from: Ben
I'm not quite following you. Maybe because it's early, or maybe because I'm all a swoon because I'm about to see the Matrix...fro free.
Anyway, could you drop me an example of what you mean?

Matrix for free?  Sheesh...I wish I were so lucky....

As an example, lets say you have a .38 Revolver. Pretty generic gun.

You have a max MP of 15.  Your aim rate is 6.

Let's say the recoil on the pistol is 2 dice.

Using the earlier suggested rules, you get to refresh your aim on the second you take your first shot.  That means you have 6 dice available when you whip the gun out and point it at the poor sap on the recieving end.

You fire, rolling 6 of your MP.

However, your MP doesn't immediatly empty.  Instead, you lose a number of dice from it equal to the gun's recoil.  Meaning, you're down to 4.

Next second, you take another shot.  You don't get to refresh any more dice, because you just fired.  You fire with 4 dice, and lose 2 more from the recoil, leaving you at 2 MP.

You then pause for a second, refreshing your aim (6 dice), and steadying your aim, leaving you with 8 dice now.

Next second, you fire again.  Since it's after a pause, you refresh again, giving you a total of 14 dice to shoot with.  You fire with 14 dice, recoil takes effect, leaving you with 12 dice after the shot.

Does that help?

Ben

Hmm, seems like we're doing the same thing different ways. I think we should slap it on the ass and call it a day. I like it.
Be Seeing You,

Ben

Ashren Va'Hale

thats the best firearms mechanism I have seen yet! Kudos!

Me like it much.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Eamon Voss

Last night one of my players was trading arrows with 9 longbow archers at 100 yards.  He had a shortbow.  Both he and the longbow guys fired after minimal aiming (about 4-5 dice for each party involved).

Longbow ATN: 10 Damage: 8
Shortbow ATN: 13 Damage 6

The player got a level 2 hit on the head of an enemy with a lucky shot that did a little shock and not much else.  The longbow archers mostly missed (bad rolling), except for one that got a level 5 hit to his upper arm, and a level 3 to his lower abdomen.  Player out of the fight after that, and nearly bled to death.  

Lesson Learned 1: Don't bring a shortbow to a longbow fight!

Lesson Learned 2: Even with minimal time spent aiming, the base damage of a longbow is such that any hit can be nasty.
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.