News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Started by Valamir, October 03, 2001, 01:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

is the log in feature not working?  Not only is it not recognizing me when I arrive, but entering my name and password in the Log In link appears to have no effect either.

Not a big deal except none of the folder flags update for me.

[ This Message was edited by: Valamir on 2001-10-04 09:06 ]

Clinton R. Nixon

Works for me in IE 5, IE 6, and Netscape. Are you logging in from somewhere different than normal?
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Mike Holmes

I've notices a number of irregularities. The one that bugs me most is that on certain days, when you click a link there will be no response until I hit stop and click it again after which the response will be immediate. This seems to be an all or nothing phenomenon. Either it is happening, or it isn't. And when I say that I get no response, I let it hang for two hours once over lunch (I'm not just an impatient clicker).

The other problem right now is that whenever you load a thread that has on it a person with an ICQ icon, the thread is delayed as it looks to mirabilis for data. Presumably the icon was what it was looking for (possibly indicating on-line status?), because when I hit stop, the rest of the page displays with the exception of the ICQ icon. I haven't tested this one for how long it might take to load, but lets just say that it's way too long for the value of the feature.

Thanks,
Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Epoch

Mike,

The first issue that you note is probably a local network issue for you.  It's got the smell of one, at least, and I haven't observed any such behaviour from The Forge (though it is possible that it's a server-side behaviour).  Do other web-sites work for you in that case?

Mike Holmes

I've had no such problems with any other web site including others that have forums, use java, etc.

I think that I've discovered a potential source of the problem. I run Netscape 4.something, and just tried it in IE which does not have the same problem. Is this a known problem with compatibility with older versions of Netscape, Clinton? My machine here is weak enough that I don't think it can handle Netscape 6. And please don't tell me that I have to succumb to using more software from the Evil Empire of Bill Gates.

Mike

Valamir

Same machines as always Clinton.  I think its been going on for a couple maybe three days now, but yesterday is the first it was annoying enough to pay attention to -- because yesterday was the Attack of Mike Holmes and I was having trouble keeping track as to whether the latest post was a post by Mike Holmes I'd already read or a post by Mike Holmes replying to a post by Mike Holmes which I hadn't read yet :smile:

To give a few more details:  When I'm in a thread posting a reply like this, it recognizes me and populates the user name field for me.  Also the last menu choice in the upper right correctly reads "[Logout]"

However on the main forum list page it does not recognize me.  The menu choice reads "Not Logged In" "[Login]".  If I try to "[Login]" it gives me the log in screen but after I enter the information the main screen (even after refreshing several times) still reads "Not Logged In".

As a result all of the forum folders on that screen, and the thread folders on the next level down are red with unread posts even though I've actually read them (because those screens don't recognize me).  I've resorted to going by the date and time stamp for now, but hopefully you'll have an idea on how to fix that for me.

Mike Holmes

More closely related to Ralph's problem, I think that it relogs you in after posting, because I have posted in the past and come out only to find that previously pink folders were no longer pink. Might be my imagination. But I know that I am missing new posts occasionally because they are not showing up in pink folders. And, If you hadn't noticed, I'm usually logged in all day long. I do go to other sites and return, might this be causing the problem? It doesn't ask me to log in again, however.

Mike