News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A tactics question, Or: The solution for poor Morgan

Started by [FHE]dave, May 15, 2003, 07:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[FHE]dave

Hi!
I have a simple but serious question:
My character Morgan had to do some training fight against the Character of another Player, Corwyn.
Both were in leather armour; Morgan carries a 2handed longsword (CP 12)and Corwyn a short - sword and a buckler (CP 15)
So: first round: Morgan rolls defensive, Corwyn aggressive
Corwyn declares a thrust (ATN5) against Morgans Chest (-2 for weapon length, +2 for aggressive stance)
What can morgan do against that??? (Corwyn has a higher Reflex, hence the higher CP)
if I defend (DTN 6, CP 14 (+2 for defensive stance) he still has 1 dice more and a lower TN!!)
if I attack, I haven't got much chance of striking first!

Is there a possibility to win this fight??
thanks,
Dave

Overdrive

Full evasion works wonders, and makes the poor attacker look stupid :)

However. I think if Morgan spends maximum amount of dice to buy the initiative, he probably wins. Can't check the probabilities since I don't have the book at hand. Then just a slight chop at Corwyn's head, this should make him think twice of such tactics. Just remember not to take defensive stance.

There is a considerable risk, but then again, seems that Corwyn actually is quite a lot better fighter.

[FHE]dave

Thanks!
I've tried to fully evade, but doesn't make much sense...
but the idea with buying initiative is good, will try next time :-)
Corwyn is a starting char like me, but has different stats (he has, for example, only Health, Endurance, Willpower, Social and Perception of 2 or 3, but Agility and Wits 7, Strength and TO 6...

Mortaneus

Quote from: [FHE]daveThanks!
I've tried to fully evade, but doesn't make much sense...
but the idea with buying initiative is good, will try next time :-)
Corwyn is a starting char like me, but has different stats (he has, for example, only Health, Endurance, Willpower, Social and Perception of 2 or 3, but Agility and Wits 7, Strength and TO 6...

How did he get both Agility and Wits 7?  Racial Mods?  Without a racial mod in there, one stat has to be declared as 'high', and no others can be equal to or greater than it.

Oh, and with Per of 2 or 3, buying init from him is dirt simple.  Plus, if you DO hit him, with a willpower of 2 or 3 the Pain is REALLY going to hurt.  Might even KO him with a head shot.

Lance D. Allen

Angharadi characters can start out thus. My first player had a CP of 15, as well.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Bankuei

Check out counters...if you successfully defend what he throws at you, you get extra dice to attack on the next exchange.  Other options include using a distraction(toss) or full evade until you can lead him on to bad ground(such as a hill, stairs, or rocks).  Finally, if he penetrates your guard, it would be well to have a shorter weapon, such as a dagger available, and finally, if worse come to worse, just grapple!

Also, don't forget your SAs!

Finally, as a side note, I thought your "high" attribute had to be your highest attribute, period, that is, no other attribute could match it?

Chris

Ashren Va'Hale

no atrib could match it PRIOR to racial mods, after that all bets are off, thus a pict with AG 7 and Wit 6 prior to mods woudl have an AG 8 and Wit 7 after mods and this a reflex 7. or 6 and 6 prior to mods with a per of 7 and thus 7 and 7 after mods and a reflex of 7.

Wow, I hope that issnt as confusing to read as it was to write
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Mokkurkalfe

He's got an EN of 2 or 3? Use the fatigue rules. Works wonders, especially combinded with Full Evasion.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Bankuei

Or-

Throw dust/powder in his face, folks with low EN don't do too well when they're deprived of oxygen, and anyone who's had a serious coughing fit is going to lose a couple of CP if not a lot of CP along the way.

Chris

Mortaneus

I must say that this is one of my favorite things about TROS.  If you decide to try and min-max your character for combat, you're going to suffer somewhere, and unless it's in SOC, it's still going to hurt you in a fight.  People who are optimized for one thing have weaknesses...weaknesses you can exploit.

In D&D 3e, a low INT or CHA doesn't isn't really a weakness in a tactical sense.  Try it in TROS, though, and you're going to get maimed by someone.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Mortaneusand unless it's in SOC,
You're forgetting taunting. Doesn't that use SOC? In some ways one of the most powerful combat abilities. Even if not, one can always use SOC to get friends to gang up on someone. And that wins hands down. :-)

Yep, a well rounded warrior has everything.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: [FHE]daveMy character Morgan had to do some training fight against the Character of another Player, Corwyn.
Both were in leather armour; Morgan carries a 2handed longsword (CP 12)and Corwyn a short - sword and a buckler (CP 15)
So: first round: Morgan rolls defensive, Corwyn aggressive
Corwyn declares a thrust (ATN5) against Morgans Chest (-2 for weapon length, +2 for aggressive stance)
What can morgan do against that??? (Corwyn has a higher Reflex, hence the higher CP)
if I defend (DTN 6, CP 14 (+2 for defensive stance) he still has 1 dice more and a lower TN!!)
if I attack, I haven't got much chance of striking first!

Is there a possibility to win this fight??

I'm a little confused as to the question, to be honest.

You might not win the exchange, but having one fewer die and one higher ATN doesn't immediately mean you're screwed.

Defend with a couple more dice than he attacked you with and you'll probably win the defense and get initiative, then attack him back. Or do a counter. Or a defensive grapple to trap his blade. Or.....

There are lots of possibilities. This is certainly not a lost cause fight.

In fact, why not try it out in the combat sim (except the grapple) a few times and see how you go. You'll be surprised at all the options avaiulable to you.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion