News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Machina: Concept

Started by Delmer Esau, May 08, 2003, 10:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmer Esau

Okay I've been enjoying some of the articles here at the Forge, as I have never completed an RPG before (I have 3 strategy/tactical games under my belt, one published).

Here is the concept for Machina.

Players portray adventurers in a steam-fantasy world dominated by godlike machine ecologies.  It is a world of rebels, empires, clockwork entities, and war.

Would you game in this world? Any help on the concept you think is needed then feel free to respond.
Delmer Esau

Owner, editor, writer, and web dude.
Black Powder Games

lumpley

Welcome to the Forge!

What's the relationship between the adventurers and the rebels, empires, and clockwork entities?  

Being an outsider, opportunist or gun-for-hire in a detailed world full of preset conflicts doesn't move me, personally, since you ask.  But being a clockwork general trying to put down an ecology-threatening rebellion sure might.

-Vincent

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Delmer EsauWould you game in this world?

I'll beat Ron to this one.

The answer is that I would probably not game in a world like that. But show me the mechanics that make this all work well, and I probably would.

That is, concepts are like bellybuttons, everyone's got one. And they're all "playable" theoretically. The only question is whether or not you can capture it in a rules structure.

IOW, "Write the game right and they will play."

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Delmer Esau

Well, I define "adventurer" as anyone who lives a life on the edge to seek fame and fortune. They might be soldiers, mercenaries, tinkers, shaman, wayward royalty who wants to see the world, or anyone who doesn't take the route of a mundane life. Anyone can be portrayed in this game, but naturally they are gonna want to do the fun stuff, not muck out the stables each day.

"Adventurer" I guess could be changed to "active participant".. but I sort of look at "adventurer" as already being that.

Can anyone thing of a name for these people that well... isn't as dry sounding as "active participant"? Or maybe I should just use that?

Oooh! "Clockwork General"..let me write that down.
Delmer Esau

Black Powder Games

Delmer Esau

Quote from: Mike Holmes

I'll beat Ron to this one.

The answer is that I would probably not game in a world like that. But show me the mechanics that make this all work well, and I probably would.

That is, concepts are like bellybuttons, everyone's got one. And they're all "playable" theoretically. The only question is whether or not you can capture it in a rules structure.

IOW, "Write the game right and they will play."

Mike

I respect your comments. Just to clarify, what I am trying to do here is take advantage of the articles and the forum to assist me in design of Machina.

Emily's article on design suggested I start with a concept statement. As I respect her opinion on these matters that is what I am doing.
Delmer Esau

Black Powder Games

deadpanbob

Delmer Esau:

Didn't you mention in passing that you were going to look into the Action! system from GRG, since it's now OGL?

I think in the same thread, Mike suggested that this might be a good idea...

The concept is solid.  Assuming that you can either retrofit Action! into the setting, or that you design fitting custom mechanics, I would only play the game if the player characters have the chance to significantly impact the world - which is still more of a mechanics issue, come to think of it.

I see nothing inherently wrong with the concept.  I'd be interested to see the settings take on clockwork machina (i.e. tech) and magic - if any.  The interplay of these two elements (creating sort of a high fantasy version of Shadowrun) would definitely intrigue me.

Cheers,

Jason
"Oh, it's you...
deadpanbob"

Mike Holmes

Actually, Jason, I think that Delmer has his own potentially OGL system.

Is it your intention to use the system that you posted on this forum for this game, Delmer?

BTW, yes, one has to start with a concept. The criteria we use around here for what makes a good concept is "does it excite you, the designer?". Because that's really the only important thing. If it does excite you, then move on to step B.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Delmer Esau

I am dropping the d10 system as by the time it would get released it will be lost in a sea of OGL's that is tidal waving up the shore. d10 doesn't excite me as much as the setting, and I can incorporate the d10 system components I want to keep freely within action! due to the designer friendly license (at least as far as I know)

Yes, actually, this setting does in fact really excite me. Dunno what it is but maybe it's getting past a difficult struggle on a different website recently. I actually turned it into a 3 day autobiography "BHB", writing it cleared up some things. "Bounty Hunter Blues" will be available on the new website, once the domain is paid for by my lovely yet very ill partner. Now I feel free to just run my business and write a great RPG.

Now if I could only get rid of this GreetingWishes email flood that never stops, then things would really rock ;)
Delmer Esau

Black Powder Games

Emmett

How machine saturated is this world? What role do people (if there are any) play? Were they the machine's creators? Did the machines arise in some different manner? For example, In this world the law of entropy does not exclude the random formations of complex and functional structures. The thought scares me because it would have uncounted implications, but it is interesting. . .

Anyway, back to questions! What if the machines no longer believe that people made them? That almost takes on religious connotations, but I think it's interesting.
Cowboys never quit!!!

Delmer Esau

Well, I'll refrain from spilling the beans on the exact origins of The Machines, but I will say it's a combination of magic and invention.

As for how the machines regard the humans who serve them..and those who fight them, that's the whole point of play: The intricasies of steamthought melded with a sometimes resistant culture of mortals and the struggle within that melding.

In short, it's too early to say just yet how the conflict is going to play out. Workin on it as we speak.
Delmer Esau

Black Powder Games

Emmett

I understand, I guess my answer to your question is the same, I'll have to wait until it's finished and we can look at the specifics. I do love a rich culture in an RPG.
Cowboys never quit!!!

Gilbetron

Quote from: Mike Holmes

Hmm.  While not completely opposite, I would tend to disagree somewhat.  While the mechanics can add some fun to a system, the NPCs, setting, and general feel of the game are much more important to me.  In this case, having hit my "steampunk button", I'd definitely buy a well-developed setting based on this idea.  

I agree with the statement that "concepts are like bellybuttons", but only in a general manner.  Initial concepts are easy, but a well thought out series of cool ideas really makes a setting.  The same idea can be applied to a rules system - there's a plethora of ideas for mechanics out there - almost everyone has got them ("rule concepts are like innie-bellybuttons, almost everyone has got one"?)  Its a whole series of clever ideas that makes something great.

So the basic concept grabs my interest, but the question is - can you fill in the guts and forge a fantastic setting?

Keep the thread alive and I'll throw in my ideas as they come up :)

Ron (another Ron)
--
I learn, by going, where to go.