News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

CharGen

Started by Eduardoh, May 19, 2003, 11:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eduardoh

I´ve just instaled the Chargen and I keep geting a massage that says " You copy of the character generator seems to be corrupted ( you have been playing with the win.ini )" something like that.

What can I do to fix that?

Thank´s

Brian Leybourne

Email me the install.log file (which you'll find in c:\program files\ros) at bleybourne@hotmail.com and I'll sort it out for you.

Having said that, I can already guess what your problem is. You're using a non-english version of Windows, right?

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Eduardoh

Ok...just send you a mail!

Thank´s

Brian Leybourne

Yup, there's the problem:

QuoteJust one more think, the file was in this directory: c:/Arquivos de
Programas/ROS ( that´s brazilian´s version of the Program Files directory ), can that be a problem?

See, it turns out I'm a lazy programmer. I always assumed that even other language versions of windows would use "program files" as the program files directory, since that's the windows default and most software packages would assume it.

Apparently, I'm an idiot.

So the problem is that the software thinks it's installed in "c:\program files\ros" and it's looking there for the ini files. It's fixable, but until I do a major update there's nothing I can do to help you.

So, the only way you can get the Character Generator working in the meantime is to create a directory on your c: drive called "Program Files", then create a directory under that called "ros": and manually copy the 4 program files (chargen.exe, help.ini, newequip.ini and skills.ini) into that "c:\program files\ros" directory, and then run it from there. That should then work fine.

Sorry!

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Eduardoh

Yup!!

Working just fine now!!

Thank you! And NO, you are not an Idiot! Just a lazy programmer! :-D

Thank´s again!!

Eduardo