News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Luck as an SA

Started by Brian Leybourne, May 29, 2003, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poenz

"And Jake of Norwood did come unto them and spake saying, "Say what?"  And it was good..."

Yea, verily, we art blest; the Almighty GD* hath spoken, blessed be his Forum.  But as the scripture also has it:

"Blessed are the RulesTweakers, for they shall inherit Mirth."  

So at the risk of invoking His unending Wrath, let me add just one more little comment--

(And by the way Jake: really need to work on the whole Wrath thing; so far you've been showing too much of the Patience and Understanding bits, and that just doesn't make for a very convincing GD.)

Still trying to make the Hubris idea work:

I'm going to compare it to Destiny, an SA I didn't much like (not that it's a bad SA--it's just not for me; to many of them 'Child of Destiny' stories running around in games/fiction/movies these days,) UNTIL some kindly folks on this forum taught me the error of my ways.  These folks proposed that Destiny could as easily be something you're running away from as something you're moving toward.  

The function is the same as the rest of the SAs (and this is the important distinction to me): The Hero is being Compelled by an aspect of his personality.  And I can say the same thing for Conscience, Faith, Drive, and Passion.  

I'm having a little trouble with Luck though, (obviously.)  Don't get me wrong, now.  I think Luck is absolutely essential to a Hero, and to the game as a mechanic.  I just think it sticks out a bit as an SA; you might 'buy down' any of the others as you grow your characters personality, but Luck will be the One Eternal because of the way it operates in the game.

So all of that is why I'm interested in this whole proposal Brian has come up with.

NOT that I want to antagonize our illustrious leader, but I did want to try and make myself clearer on where I was coming from, and where I wanted to go with it.

And I promise not to say any more about the Hubris thing until I've grown me one of them Intelligence things, that'll let me express the concept better.  

So you're probably safe for a good long while--

~PO

*Game Designer