News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Questions on a new owner of the book...

Started by Morfedel, May 20, 2003, 12:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: MorfedelAre there even rules in consideration for the time being? If not, I'll cobble my own together... but if so, then we should perhaps make a PDF with them.

That's a great idea. Why not start a new thread(s) to discuss herbalism and traps etc if you like, and see what others' thoughts are as well (you may or may not get lots of replies of course, different strokes for different folks and all that...). Once you've got something put together, I know we'll all be keen to see it, and Jake's always happy to host stuff like that on the webpage if you make it at least a bit presentable and readable.

Regards,
Brian.

(edit: One last thing, since you brought it up. You wont get flamed here for having an opinion, even when it's different from others. We don't do that here. There's an occasional warmth to be seen here and there admittedly, but it's stamped down pretty quick, so you have no worries on that score).
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Jake Norwood

Hey Morefedel-

Sorry for any misunderstandings. I'm a little cranky lately.

Re: Traps- The kinds of traps that the "traps" skill refers to are animal traps for hunting. I thought we'd put rules in there for that. Use the hunting rules. As for trapping people...your guess is as good as mine.

Re: Herbalism- we actually have pages of herbalism stuff lying around somewhere, but I don't even know if it's any good. We were saving it to revise for Sorcery and the Fey.

Ugh...so much to write...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Morfedel

You do have rules for trapping animals. its under the heading Hunting or Trapping, which is on page 35.

This is a seperate skill, called Traps, on page 42. And it specifically states its "traps of the 'booby; variety - poisoned needles in locks, trap doors," etc etc.

Trapping, as in hunting and trapping, gives rules for the number and quality of animals snared by trapping. Somehow, I dont think the Traps skills should work that way with humans! :D

"Look, pa, I nabbed me 3 beggars, a landed noble, and gosh darn it, a sorcerer too! We gonna skin em or eat em?"  :D

hehe

Jake Norwood

Damn...so I do. Well, that's why I wrote it all down.

I would do it like this. When a person comes accross my trap, I'd roll a contest of their Per vs TN based on environment and nature of trap against my own Per (or other appropriate attribute) vs. Traps skill. The margin of success can be used to determine damage or the extremity of effect.

Any other ideas?

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Valamir

Lets see.  If we really wanted to do feature the trap as a key event of the night.

Give traps 3 modifers:  Detection, Damage, Disarm

1) PER/Trap roll to determine ideal location.  Additional successes on roll go to increaseing any combination of the 3 modifers.  Its a good location because they'll never see it.  Its a good location, because I can use a bigger spring and make the dart more powerful.  Its a good location because they'll have trouble reaching the mechanism to disarm it.  Failure indicates no good place to put the trap in the immediate vicinity and setting one anyway will be automatically seen by all but the most oblivious.  i.e. give a large bonus to detection.

2) AGL/Trap roll to actually set the trap.  Additional successes on roll go to increasing any combination of the 3 modifiers.  Failure...hmmm...I'd probably say:  Time is wasted, fragile materials may be broken, try again possible at -1 die per attempt.  Botch...whooops.

Also, with success, may increase Damage by decreasing Detection (bigger but easier to spot) or vice / versa by up to 1 point per success.  May increase / Decrease Disarm with either of the above at 2:1

3) Detection:  PER test vs TN set by environmental factors (visibility, coverage, exhaustion) with bonuses for stateing caution etc.  Lose dice based on Trap Detection modifier.  If detected move to Disarm, if not Zap.  Unless playing a cinematic "my ninja dodges the dart as it fires" campaign, I'd simply rule a "hit" and move to damage.  Decide hit location based on nature of trap.  Damage handled like weapon.  Determine base damage by nature of trap +5 (Strength proxy) and add Trap Damage modifier.  Target gets TO plus armor protection if applicable.  Any damage result may deliver poison if any.

4) Disarm:  Roll PER/Trap and AGL/Trap to disarm.  -die for disarm modifier.  Failure on either sets trap off.  Multiple successes on AGL test leaves trap in good enough condition to be reset if desired as above.

kenjib

Quote from: Valamir
3) Detection:  PER test vs TN set by environmental factors (visibility, coverage, exhaustion) with bonuses for stateing caution etc.  Lose dice based on Trap Detection modifier.  If detected move to Disarm, if not Zap.  Unless playing a cinematic "my ninja dodges the dart as it fires" campaign, I'd simply rule a "hit" and move to damage.  Decide hit location based on nature of trap.  Damage handled like weapon.  Determine base damage by nature of trap +5 (Strength proxy) and add Trap Damage modifier.  Target gets TO plus armor protection if applicable.  Any damage result may deliver poison if any.

4) Disarm:  Roll PER/Trap and AGL/Trap to disarm.  -die for disarm modifier.  Failure on either sets trap off.  Multiple successes on AGL test leaves trap in good enough condition to be reset if desired as above.

Why not PER/Trap for #3 and AGL/Trap for #4?  Someone who knows alot about traps should have a better chance at finding one.
Kenji

Valamir

Quote from: kenjib
Why not PER/Trap for #3 and AGL/Trap for #4?  Someone who knows alot about traps should have a better chance at finding one.

Because I forgot to type it :-)
Or at least I did for #3.  #4 already is that way.