News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Riddle of the Five Rings?

Started by Ben Morgan, June 20, 2003, 06:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Morgan

Okay, I did a search, but I couldn't find anything about the possibility of a Legend of the Five Rings to Riddle of Steel conversion. I thought it had been brought up before, but I may have been hallucinating. I know people have discussed how to handle katanas with the system.

Anyways, has anyone done anything along these lines? Haven't had time to really sit and think about it yet, so I figured if someone had done some groundwork, I'd have a place to start. I have players that are really jazzed about the system, as well as players who really love Rokugan.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light

Judd

The Riddle combat system consists of pretty basic stuff, thrusts, cuts and the angles or places the hits are aimed at.  I don't think it would take much tweaking at all.  Mayhaps take out half-swording or call certain things by different names.

I think Honor would make for a NIFTY Spiritual Attribute.  1st ed. L5R was the first game I ever played in which combat was truly dangerous, one shot by the wrong swordsman could wack ya.  I liked that, it made combat more dramatic and I think the Riddle captures that even more.

Riddle of the Five Rings could be grand, please post at the Forge on how it goes.

Jake Norwood

There has been talk of this before...I'd love to do it, as I like the old L5R. I've also heard guys using the Sengoku setting with TROS rules. I agree that I'd love to hear how it's going with them all.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Claymore

Ah.....L5R, before Gold. I loved the card game, but I thought the RPG needed work. Combat could be converted to TROS nicely, but I can see some more manuevers being added to capture the Japanese style of combat. The biggest problem doing a complete conversion would be the Kihos and Mahos (the clerical type magic of L5R). It's been a while since I've looked at my L5R rulebook. Perhaps they could be ported over easily.

Interesting possibilities...

claymore
George
Driftwood Publishing
claymore@theriddleofsteel.net
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Waiwode

Easy as pie!

Shugenja gain an automatic flaw (Must used Formalized Spells).  Actually using the Scroll each formalized spell comes on gives them +2 pool, but keeps their hands busy.

Monks gain an automatic flaw ("Quick & Dirty" Spells only).

Casting "backlash" uses the optional fatigue rules posted around the forum.

Both types of casters gain an elemental affiliation and an elemental weakness. (+1 pool, -1 pool which would extend to Shugenja learning new formalized spells).

Elemental Magic?  Not really.  Although we have five element magic in Rokugan, the elements often correspond with concepts.  I'm quite sure we can fix up the vagaries so they marry up nicely.

Anyways, just a thought.
"The only thing players attempt more often than the impossible is the unintended."

Jake Norwood

I'm actually planning on a stand-alone TROS for Kurosawa-era Japan this time next year. I'm very excited about it.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Marc Hameleers

Thank you Norwood-sama !!!!

Marc

Waiwode

I second the "domo!"

But does this mean I'm stuck with barbarians and sorcerors for a whole year?!? (joke!)

Doug.
"The only thing players attempt more often than the impossible is the unintended."

Jake Norwood

Yeah, it does. Heh.

I'm very excited about the project, but The Flower or Battle comes first, as does my re-location (I'm trying to move locations and jobs right now). The good news is that I'll be able to use little parts of TFOB in fleshing out the whole Chanbara thing.

I've got a pretty solid vision of what I want. The book will contain notes on essentially 3 settings: feudal Japan, feudal Tengoku, and 1800's Japan, which is the era that I actually find most fascinating. If this goes well, then we really may see "Enigma Ferrum" and a few other historical-based TROS stand-alones.

Jake