News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Taveruun

Started by Brian Leybourne, May 22, 2003, 07:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

Yeah, I knew there were rough edges; I'm working hard at, well, work, and it doesn't give me a lot of time to think creatively.

Also, when it comes to nonfiction, I don't write things so well; I'm working on a novel (I'm on its second draft) and my critique groups are very impressed with it, enough so that they think its easily better than a lot of crap on the shelves.

But writing non-fiction is not as easy for me. I have to sit down and think about it very carefully. And I didn't do so with either my AM 2 TRoS post, nor this one - I just didn't have the time, when I promised it in a matter of days, hehe

Nick the Nevermet

Hiya.  I have a draft for the North-east.  It's not by best, but it has somethings that are OK

The Duchy of the North-East: K'Dreni

K'Dreni is a province of strife: the nobility struggles with itself and a powerful system of guilds, left over from a Crusader-Lord's dreams of prosperity.  Overlooking this is the Sultan of Otamarluk, calmly fanning the flames consuming the province from within.  Meanwhile a boy Duke and his ruthless foreign advisor try to steady things, and through their actions may make the fire explosive.

Geography & economy
K'Dreni is a hilly place that becomes increasingly mountainous as one moves to the North and west.  A handful of tributaries poor into the Galadonian River, causing breaks in the hills.  Imperial roads in this province go south and one, the Spiral River, follows a windy path down across the province, eventually connecting with the Cathedral River in the Western province.  The current capital of K'Dreni, Kar'dami, lies on the Spiral River.  The other four cities of note all lie on Imperial roads primarily, rather than being built centrally on key rivers.  These cities are K'ravi in the west, Pel'esin in the east, and Hunnaged near the center of K'Dreni.

The economy of the cities is based on trade through the province as well as high quality metalworking made within its cities.  The guilds of K'Dreni's cities are wealthy and a force to be reckoned with.  There is no single leader of the guilds, but the most influential guild master in the capital city is Iosif Grezhunvili of the Jewelers Guild.

Outside the cities, several semi-nomadic groups of herders can be found.  The herders are a persecuted group, as many are followers of the Prophet and his Seven Vows.

The dominant ethnicity of K'Dreni is a particular variant of Taveru.  Their distinctive dialect is quicker than most Taveru, making them appear agitated and hyperactive in the eyes of many neighbors.  The nobles of the cities have toned this down a bit, becoming more 'mainstream Taveru.'

Politics

The nobility of K'dreni are hopelessly fragmented.  The current feudal system and traditions can be directly traced back to Duke Jurgen the Most Bold, a Stahlnish crusader who was given K'Dreni as a reward for his impressive campaigns against the heathens.  A capable leader, Duke Jurgen promoted trade and established a system of guilds within his burgeoning cities.  Protected by his law, the guilds grew and helped make K'Dreni be one of the most industrious provinces of Taveruun in the post-Crusade era.  

Things changed dramatically, however, with Duke Jurgen's death.  With no heir, the nobility, still adapting to Jurgen's reforms, fell into a dizzyingly fragmented conflict.  The guilds generally proclaimed themselves neutral, removing themselves from the political conflicts between the nobles, focusing on maintaining the status they enjoyed with Jurgen's rule.

The nobility never found their way out of the internal strife.  In the 246 years since Duke Jurgen's death, there have been 9 different dukes from five different families.  Causes for the change of power include abdication, assassination, plague (twice), and a poorly thought out battle against Otamarluk forces. The guilds, in turn, have become at odds with the nobles, constantly groping for more power and freedom.  K'dreni is slowly coasting from the imposed order of Duke Jurgen towards complete collapse.  The Sultan of Otamarluk has taken advantage of this, saturating K'Dreni's courts and councils with spies and informants.  Some of these are janissaries, others are from K'Dreni and paid or otherwise persuaded, and some are from the rural herders who live in the province.

Oppressed since the time of Duke Jurgen, the herders of K'Dreni are, like the city-dwellers, Taveru in their ethnicity.  However, before the Crusades, the herders were one of the first (and last) groups in Taveruun to be converted.  After the crusades, Duke Jurgen established Xanar as the one and only Church in the areas near him.  The semi-nomadic tribes in the hills were allowed to have their faith, barely, and were the target of a great deal of scape-goating and hard oppression by the nobility.  Many of the herders have begun to believe that the Sultan of Otamarluk may be a better ruler, and as a result the Sultan has had a source of spies and raiders within this province.

The political landscape of K'Dreni has begun to change, however.  The young Duke Giorgi Amvrosiyevich died two years ago from Rat's Plague in its latest outbreak.  This left his young thirteen year old brother, Zviad as the new Duke.  The rival nobles, guilds, and spies could all smell blood in the water.

But something rather unexpected occurred.  Visiting the K'Drenu court for the past several months was an exiled Gelurois nobleman, the Comte Hugue Leon Ines Etienne de Oeil.  A noble who escaped (with his family's fortune) from Gelure just before Uglub triumphed, he spent the past several years traveling about the courts of eastern Mainlund.  Winding through Stahl, Sarmatov, Cyrinthmeir, and eventually Taveruun, The Comte de Oeil is a middle-aged man who radiates intimidation like a methodical predator.  He is Well-spoken, articulate, refined, ruthless, and arrogant to the point of legend.

Very quickly after Zviad's rise to Duke, the Comte de Oeil became one of his closest advisors, and by far his most active.  He is universally hated, but some of the nobility grudgingly give him an ounce of respect.  Though no one (except perhaps young Duke Zviad) trusts him, no one has been able to uncover a plot or plan to take power.  Stories about his life in Gelure have slowly made their way down to Taveruun.  He was apparently a member of the old Gelurois King's court, where he was known as an absolutely Machiavellian defender of the crown.

In K'Dreni, he has asked and received the position of Tax Collector.  This has set him in direct engagement with the Guilds.  While it is too early to determine the final winner, his careful manipulation of people and the law has given the Guild's the first real threat to their autonomy in over a century.  Though this is his official title, and he appears to get an unusual amount of satisfaction from dealing with the Guilds, his other prime area of influence is in matters of diplomacy and espionage.

The final conclusion of the Comte's effects is mixed at best. Though he is without equal in the Province for political skill, the fact that he is seen so untrustworthy have made actions in the name of the Duke much more difficult.  Both the highlord of the North and the highlord of the Northwest have no interest in aiding a villain like the Comte de Oeil, even at the expense of Northeastern Province of Taveruun.  In their view, he must be removed, but to date, he has done nothing that warrants overt hostility.

Military

K'Dreni is not a military power.  Most of the noble's military forces are used either policing the roads or fruitlessly hunting down bands of herders who are suspected to be working for Otamarluk.  The forces of K'Dreni are generally a mix of infantry and cavalry.

Partially because of the condition of the military and partially because of the Guild's interests in keeping commerce flowing, the nobility of K'Dreni have taken to paying tribute to the Sultan of Otamarluk.  They hope this will help satiate Otamarluk, and make it less desirable to invade.  So far, the Comte de Oeil has remained silent on this issue.

Religion
The cities of K'Dreni are staunch supporters of the Church of Xanar.  A long tradition of key religious positions going to local nobles, however, have ensured that Church is not even a player in the political wars of the province, but rather a mere tool toward the petty ambitions of various families.  The cardinals and Archbishops frown upon this practice, and if anything truly horrendous from the Church's position takes place, they may move in to do something.

The wilds of K'Dreni are home to the Herders and their devotion to the Prophet of the Seven Vows.  Their form of the religion does not necessarily call for holy wars of conversion, but centuries of oppression have led them farther and farther in that direction.  The majority of them still hold by a rather non-aggressive form, but there are some tribes and the occasional religious leader who demand more, be it the disruption of trade or aiding the Sultan of Otamarluk, or anything else.

Within the wilds you also have a small handful of monasteries.  These brave souls believe in taking the spiritual fight to the Great Betrayer by going to the wilds.  They have a tense relationship with the herders, who they alternatively attempt to convert and condemn. Rarely do these tensions lead to violence, but more than one monastery has difficulties having contact with the cities.  The longest lasting monastery in K'Dreni is the Holy Shrine of St. Soman, a local cleric who rode with Duke Jurgen as his chaplain.

The fey are not as numerous here as they are in Komas, but they exist.  As man affects the land, so too does the land affect the fey, and the reflection causes the Fey to be increasingly territorial and what Mainlund occultists would call 'Unseelie.'  There are several valleys and hills the Herders have marked off as haunted and will not go near.  The most famous place of the fey is probably Man's End.  Roughly two day's journey out of Hunnaged, there is a small section of Imperial road, perhaps a quarter of a mile long.  No one knows where it comes from, and no one who goes to it at dusk or night come back alive.  Those who come just after dawn see the entire length of road bathed in blood that boils off in the morning sun, leaving the bone-colored stone road.  No records exist of the Empire building road there, and no one knows what it means.  The herders believe it is best not to find out, however.

Nick the Nevermet

Things I need to work on:
1) it isn't tied into the other provinces very well.  This is especially important IMHO with the Eastern province Gary has been working on, seeing how both share borders with Otmarluk.  I wanted the threat of the Sultan in K'Dreni to be more conspiracy-oriented than that in the Eastern Province, which is more directly defined by the military.  Do you guys think that's a valid play?

2) Did I overplay the Comte?  The book says the nobles of Taveruun bring in foreign advisors, and The Comte is intentionally in the 'be careful what you wish for' category.  I also believe it is best to leave his personal motivations out of the text.

3) *smirk* Part of me wants to pull Universalis off the shelf for some reason... (sorry, had to say it)

Mike Holmes

Quote from: MorfedelForgive the sloppiness of this, its a first draft:
The apollogies are unneccessary. All looks just fine to me, in general.

QuotePendus Fain - The Land of Sea and Stone
Cool name. It's a little detail but an important one.

QuoteThe Southeastern holding of Taveruun is one of great diversity, both of its land and its people...
I liked this part. Actually it sounded like a travel brochure, which made me laugh. But somehow that's not a problem.

QuoteHidden within its culture, however, is a landscape far more treacherous than any that can be found on the back of a horse or the sole's of one's feet.
The plot thickens. Which is cool. In terms of RPGs places have to be grabby in some way.

QuoteFollowing this line west towards Pendus Fain, the mountains begin to dwindle and fall, losing their majesty as they approach the setting sun. Valleys and passes cut through much of the western reaches, falling into foothills by the time it reaches Taveruun, where its eastern river digs through the rock and stone in its course to the sea.
Good stuff on the geography. The river is the Galadorn from which the East province takes it's name.

QuoteHere, the canyons of Athul-Dul are riddled with passes, earth bridges, caverns, and pockets dug out of the rock by the rushing waters.
I'm getting a very "Temple of Doom" feel here.

QuotePolitics of Church and State play a large role in most societies on Weryth, and nowhere is this more true than in Pendus Fain.
This is intriguing. It's the farthest reach of the Imperial faith, and yet it's a place where church influence is most strong. As I said, I like exceptions, and this is an opportunity to exploit one. Maybe there's a particular reason why the adherence to the church here? Threatening enemies? Some pogrom against other faiths in the past? Lot's of room for expansion on this point. Why is Corathus so devoted to the church? Is it so that they don't look into his occult activities?

Quoteand the year of Corathus' induction the previous Highlord was slain in a hunting accident.
Ah, the old "hunting accident". Did they find the body? These always smack of foul play. OTOH, maybe you can introduce some nifty creature resonsible for the death.

QuoteWhether they are dealing with a new cult, or a madman, they are uncertain - but the fear allows them to draw the reigns ever tighter.
Hmm. A mystery. This could be followed up with an adventure idea that builds on it.

QuoteThere is great concern over Otamarluk, and Corathus has instigated the construction of border fortresses to match his northern neighbor, in the hopes of stopping the incursions. He has not had as much to fear, but he knows how an avalanche can begin with just one stone.
I have this vision of forts along the border with East. So that if they do take East, they have to hit another fortline if they turn south. Sorta like they've given up on East, and are only hoping to divert the Marluks elsewhere should they invade. :-)

Looking at the Sapphire bay, Numeria alone holds a substantial port, and little navy. Svarastra is even worse, having no real navy to speak of to defend itself against pirates, and no other country has a naval presence.

QuoteIt is a dangerous thing, but once the port is complete, Privateer vessels shall be built, followed by true naval vessels. The Sapphire Bay shall belong to Taveruun, if the High Lord has his way. Final decisions have not been made; the shipyard itself still needs to be complete.
Cool. I envision all sorts of "Seven Voyages of Sinbad" sorts of adventures emerging from the new port if it becomes a reality. And a new naval escallation would be cool. I see the Svarastrans responding with impractically large gilded ships of the line, commanded by Pashas with no naval experience. Leading to easy plunder for the Pendus Fain navy. Neat.

Illitzi, in South is a major port already. Is Pendus Fain working with the lord of Illitzi in this? Because if he starts a naval war, Illitzi will certainly be threatened. Or is Coranthus so ambitious that he doesn't care what happens to South?

QuotePendus Fain's major production is in: stone, having a number of functioning quarries; mushrooms; goat and sheep; wool and cotton. They trade most of this to Svarastra, in exchange for spices, tea, metals and finished weapons and armors.
Stone is only traded on small scales for obvious reasons. So it tends to be the very valuable stuff that's traded like Marble. I can see a big Svarastran demand for that to build palaces. Is that what you were thinking in terms of trade?

Quotethayrists, nature worshippers, and others dwelt in this land, and with a quiet peace, until the current High Lord assumed command.
The Thayrism here seems secluded (I made no mention of it for South, nor did Gary for East). That makes it a likely candidate for an expanded explanation. Like perhaps some group of mercenaries brought it to the area, and it exists only in the region where they settled.

QuoteIn one wall of the Canyon is cut an ornate and beautiful cathedral to the Imperial Church, straight out of the living stone. Around it, the canyon walls were worked to create an almost symphonic melody when the winds blow just right.
Needs a name. Cathedral of the Winds?

QuoteAlong the mountain ranges that protrude into the Taveruun edge, that run along the Svarastran-Otamarluk border, large armies of Gols march.
Is that canonical? That is, I thought I remembered that Gols were only in certain regions. That all said, I could be totally mis-remembering, or this could be a cool exception.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Nick the Nevermet

Hiya, Morfedel

I just re-read your write-up.

The province, in my reading of it, seems to be defined by its military character.  Corathus is centralizing power under him.  That's pretty tried-and-true (read: not bad at all) kind of leader.  As with everything, though, a points.  These are mainly questions, not actcual complaints or criticisms.

First, the situation with the Church is a bit confusing.  Rumors of Corathus being downright infernal, but at the same time pumping up the power of the Church.  I got the sense that the Archbishop, while rather smart, and while he doesn't seem particularly evil, he is at the moment a passive actor.  He has his spies, his influence, and his authority, but he isn't doing much.  He's waiting for... something.  But what?  If he's allied with Corathus, for good or for ill, he could help clear his name.  If he's against him, he could be organizing a large amount of resistance to him.

Second, people disappearing as a regular ocurrence gets a lot of attention.  Both the highlord and his military advisor disappear regularly.  Beyond rumors, what kind of fall-out is this having?

Third, the military interest in building a navy.  To me, this sounds like poor judgement on the part of Corathus, but that by itself is not necessarily a bad thing.  Leaders can make bad choices, and he certainly wouldn't be the first one who got fixated on getting a port (heck, I did a similar thing up in the North).  

My primary concern after reading this is that you have described a rather confusing ruler.  That isn't necessarily bad, but a confusing ruler creates interesting sites of resistance and capable enemies to his rule.  I think that is something you could develop more.

Now, if you didn't want your ruler to be confusing, then that's another issue.  Then we get into my reading versus your intent, and who is 'right' and where.  If you weren't looking for a leader that was a tad confusing due to rumors of heresy, happily giving power to the Church, common disappearances, and secret naval bases, then the question is what were you aiming for?

Nick the Nevermet

More things I need to work on:

3) I didn't make the military threat of Otamarluk either real enough or immediate enough.  I need to put more about raids and the coming counter-crusade into the province.

I'm just going to keep posting these until I have a few hours free to work it over again

Morfedel

Nick:

Thanks for the comments, observations, and questions.

Frankly, I streamlined that first draft without bothering to even go back and edit it. So that's a big part of the reason you are getting a bit of mixed signals with Corathus, the archbishop, etc.

The idea here is that Corathus is playing a dangerous game of "playing all sides against the middle." He is strengthening the power of the church, along as he receives certain "concessions" in return. The church was glad to oblige at first, but now they are beginning to become suspicious of their ally - but not enough so to actively move against him, but to watch him.

Meanwhile, Corathus is gathering more power to his reigns. If he can establish a strong-enough power base... he is intended to be part machiavellian, park risk-taker, part wire-walker. He has a far range to plummet, but he is gambling it all for greater power.

I'll work on a second draft to tighten it up and clarify things.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Nick Pagnucco
First, the situation with the Church is a bit confusing.
Seems to me that it could just be a backscratching situation. The church, liking its new hold, doesn't want to stir the pot. OTOH, maybe it is about to explode. James?

QuoteThird, the military interest in building a navy.  To me, this sounds like poor judgement on the part of Corathus, but that by itself is not necessarily a bad thing.  Leaders can make bad choices, and he certainly wouldn't be the first one who got fixated on getting a port (heck, I did a similar thing up in the North).
What makes it a bad idea? If they can make a ton of money in the short run (seems to be the goal), they can bolster their other military afterwards.

QuoteMy primary concern after reading this is that you have described a rather confusing ruler.  
Hmm. I'd say mysterious. But what makes him confusing?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Morfedel

Quote from: Mike Holmes
Quote from: Nick Pagnucco
First, the situation with the Church is a bit confusing.
Seems to me that it could just be a backscratching situation. The church, liking its new hold, doesn't want to stir the pot. OTOH, maybe it is about to explode. James?

Correct. Although I am not sure I made it clear enough. As I said, I was rambling. The church definitely dont want to threathen their new hold... Corathus is keeping them very close.

On the other hand, they are growing concerned over these rumors of MorrowWight. They have learned nothing, but if Corathus is, in fact, dealing with a Sorcerer or other monstrous creature, they will not be happy.

So, in this case, they are investigating, quietly, and Corathus, of course, all smiles and charm, is just as quietly parrying their spying attempts.

QuoteThird, the military interest in building a navy.  To me, this sounds like poor judgement on the part of Corathus, but that by itself is not necessarily a bad thing.  Leaders can make bad choices, and he certainly wouldn't be the first one who got fixated on getting a port (heck, I did a similar thing up in the North).
What makes it a bad idea? If they can make a ton of money in the short run (seems to be the goal), they can bolster their other military afterwards.

I didn't think it was entirely a bad idea either, but for different reasons. I'm going to go back and read it more carefully during my revised draft.
QuoteMy primary concern after reading this is that you have described a rather confusing ruler.  
Hmm. I'd say mysterious. But what makes him confusing?

I think he is right, but for different reasons. It isnt a confused ruler, but confused text! :)

I mean, I think its not utterly incompetent getting my message across, but I felt it could have been delivered a bit clearer.

But I'm glad you think he is mysterious, too... that was the entire point. I want a lot of questions about him, rumors and shadows flittering about him in a storm of doubt... but one in which nothing solid ever lands.

Gary_Bingham

Quote from: MorfedelPendus Fain - The Land of Sea and Stone
Is Pendus a lordship, earldom, county etc. I only ask as we have defined the order of peerage for the other regions and I am interested.

Quote from: MorfedelHidden within its culture, however, is a landscape far more treacherous than any that can be found on the back of a horse or the sole's of one's feet.
That just what I like to hear ... treachery :) Pendus Fain is starting to sound like an interesting place to stage an adventure.

Quote from: MorfedelPendus Fain shares most of its border either with Svarastra or its other Taveru holdings, with only a slim strip of land bordering Otamarluk.
I reckon that only the east and northeast should have the dubious honor of hosting a border with Otarmarluk. We should alter the map to have the border between East and Southeast meet at the border between Otarmarluk and Svarastra. The Baron of Galadon would not want to leave a gap in his defenses under another lord. Especially one that he views as militarily weak.

Quote from: MorfedelSvarastra is divided from Otamarluk by a vast plateau of mountains and valleys breaking the entire middle and eastern segments with a barrier of titanic rock.

Following this line west towards Pendus Fain, the mountains begin to dwindle and fall, losing their majesty as they approach the setting sun. Valleys and passes cut through much of the western reaches, falling into foothills by the time it reaches Taveruun, where its eastern river digs through the rock and stone in its course to the sea. Here, the canyons of Athul-Dul are riddled with passes, earth bridges, caverns, and pockets dug out of the rock by the rushing waters. Winds raised with the sun howl through the mazes within, creating a haunting chorus of whistles and howls to great the morning. The canyons dwindle as the river continues to the sea, ending in marshes and bogs.

As the land continues west, it slopes downward, fading from rocky and treacherous terrain to a more even and level field.
I have commented on the geography in your other thread Mordefel. I like the feel of Pendus Fain. Though I still feel that canyons may well fit with Northeastern Svarastra falling down from the plateau, they do not really fit with Pendus Fain which is essentially a big river delta. ie mostly damp and flat. Still canyons will look really good so ... whatever

Quote from: MorfedelBorders with Svarastra are far better, however. Trade is lucrative, as the almost too wealthy nobles living there pay premium prices and make favorable trade with the Taveruun merchants - simply, Svarastra can afford it.
and
QuotePendus Fain's major production is in: stone, having a number of functioning quarries; mushrooms; goat and sheep; wool and cotton. They trade most of this to Svarastra, in exchange for spices, tea, metals and finished weapons and armors. Craftsmen of Taveruun study Svarastran tastes, and make finished products to trade to Svarastra nobles at a very high price, in exchange for raw and unfinished goods.
Trade with Svarastra is the lifeblood of Pendus Fain. There are vast riches across the border, but the resources of the county are not as valuable as other Taveruun counties. Where Galadon has iron and gold Pendus Fain has sheep and goats. What has Pendus to trade with Svarastra? Also the Port of Illitzi is at the end of the Imperial road and much of the trade with Svarastra and Numeria will pass through there. These disadvantages may give you more powerful reasons why Coranthus is desperate to risk conflict with Numeria and Svarastra with privateer vessels.

You are setting Coranthus up in direct opposition to Count Illitzi. Mike how do think that the Count will react to privateer vessels working in the Saphire sea. Damaging trade and maybe even attacking his ships. Umm, there is some potential for tasty conflict here.

Quote from: MorfedelPolitics of Church and State play a large role in most societies on Weryth, and nowhere is this more true than in Pendus Fain. Here, the High Lord plays a dangerous game of cat and mouse with the ArchBishop of the Imperial Church, and his neighbors, concerning power and glory.
The Church will see Svarastra as an untapped resevior of potential converts to the Word of Xanar. They also will not take kindly to Coranthus muddying the water by attacking Svarastra or it's trade ships. There are many missionaries over the border who would be in danger if the border were closed. Again more opportunities for intrigue and treachery.

Good stuff keep it up

Morfedel

Before I respond to anything else, I want to ask a clarifying question here:

this is twice that Illitzi has been mentioned, and somehow I missed this in the previous documents. i'm going to look for it, but... are you referring to that port town that is next to the river that is between Numeria and Taveruun?

If so, while we can do anything we want, I believe there may be a conceptual error, for two reasons.

The first is, recall the MRB specifically says that Taveruun has only one single major port, and that is of the high lord to the west, I think, or north west or something; because of this is why I didn't actually put down an already-existing port in my region, BECAUSE of that. If West Taveruun has the only major taveruun port, the rest of the regions shouldn't have one.

The second is that it also mentions in Numeria that Numeria is A) struggling to hold onto the river that lies at their edge from conquest by taveruun and dardanet. Which means, they are struggling, but they still hold the river.

Also, I recall it mentioning something about Numeria having a single major port city, along a river, and far away from their capital. Looking at the map, Numeria has only two cities shown on it; the first being in the heart of their country, and the second being just north of that river that is at the taveruun-numeria reaches.

As such, it has been of my opinion that that city at the taveruun edge is, in fact, Numerian. I had this perception because of all the text quoted above; taveruun has only one major port, period, according to the mrb, and numeria has the only real port in the sapphire bay, albeit with a pathetic navy, but one that is home to many delegates and merchants, which lies along a river.

Now, I'm working from memory here, as my book isn't with me, but that SOUNDS correct. Perhaps you guys could skim the relevant text and see whether you concur or not, and I will have to wait until I am in the same building as my book to do likewise.

Meanwhile, I'll go back and look for this South port city and see what it says.... any idea what page? This is a lot of text to look through!!! :)

But you can see why I haven't been of the opinion that Pendus Fain is not in conflict with any other high lords, right?

Nick the Nevermet

Just want to mention that what I said were the best comments I could think up; the last thing I wanted to do was just shrug and give a thumbs up.  With that in mind, I think I probably should have used a different word than 'confusing' and a few others.

I think things are going pretty well, all things considered.  After we have all 8 provinces done, that's when we should make a review to unify things a bit more.  Checking consistency while writing the provinces is good, but they'll inevitably feel separate.  Partially though, this is a good thing, as we are talking about a decentralized feudal state.

Thorsten

Quote from: Gary_Bingham
The purpose of these walls is to 1) mark the extent of territory(to say "this far and no further"), 2) to impress (to say "if we can build a wall like this with our bare hands, think what are swords can do to your internal organs") 3) to monitor traffic , goods and animals, crossing the frontier, and 4) most importantly I my opinion, as a line of communication allowing many troops to travel along the border swiftly to counter any incursion. For this reason I have described the wall as a fortified road

One of the reasons for the limes, Geraman roman border was to reduce raiding, infiltration  and control passage.

Quote from: Gary_Bingham]
QuoteThe Baronial Guard is a elite regiment made of mostly un-landed nobles and freemen, highly trained in the use of polearm and crossbow. Each guard is expected to purchase his own armour and weaponry and maintain such to a very high standard
Is the noble freeman Guard infantry?
QuoteEastguard Legions
The legions are a remnant of the Imperial legions that once protected Taveruun. Funded by the Baron of Galadon and the levy imposed on the other highlords, the Eastguard legion are based on the Eastern Wall. The legions are made up professional solders trained in the use of longsword and bow, and are well versed in defensive tactics
I get the impression Taveruun is a feudalsitic society, i see problems the LEgions coukld have survived the times as standing armed forces.
Mybe a thegmata system works better, when these troops living from their own farms" and enrolled in the duty of wall defence are exempted from taxes and such. I would also add at least spears to their arsenal.[
Quoteb]Town Watch and Militia[/b]
of pole-arm or sword and bow up to the age of 30
I would change the side arm to a mace or an falchion, swords are relative expensive, maybe two much expensive for miltia.

I didn`t want to crticize but i hope it helps a bit.

Gary_Bingham

Hello Thorsten,
thanks for taking the time to read my stuff.

Quote from: Thorsten
Quote from: IThe purpose of these walls is to 1) mark the extent of territory(to say "this far and no further"), 2) to impress (to say "if we can build a wall like this with our bare hands, think what are swords can do to your internal organs") 3) to monitor traffic , goods and animals, crossing the frontier, and 4) most importantly I my opinion, as a line of communication allowing many troops to travel along the border swiftly to counter any incursion. For this reason I have described the wall as a fortified road
One of the reasons for the limes, Geraman roman border was to reduce raiding, infiltration  and control passage.
agreed see point 3

Quote from: ThorstenIs the noble freeman Guard infantry?
I would say yes on the whole. There would be a small dedicated mounted unit within the Guard, but the majority would be infantry. The mounted knights in the Holy Orders would make up the mobile forces under the Baron's command. The main purpose of the Baronial guard is to hold the City and Castle at Longstone. Not much requirement for cavalry in siegework.

Quote from: IEastguard Legions
The legions are a remnant of the Imperial legions that once protected Taveruun. Funded by the Baron of Galadon and the levy imposed on the other highlords, the Eastguard legion are based on the Eastern Wall. The legions are made up professional solders trained in the use of longsword and bow, and are well versed in defensive tactics
I get the impression Taveruun is a feudalsitic society, i see problems the LEgions coukld have survived the times as standing armed forces.
Mybe a thegmata system works better, when these troops living from their own farms" and enrolled in the duty of wall defence are exempted from taxes and such. I would also add at least spears to their arsenal
I do picture the legions very much like the roman legions. My vision of the Old Xanarian empire is very much romanisque. The Eastguard legions would have been formed and financed by the empire, but when they withdrew from Taveruun, control over the legions would have ceded to the Baron of Galadon. The prohibitive cost of maintaining these elite troops has led the Baron to demand a defence levy on the other highlords(note this may be a bone of contention between the highlords)

Quote from: ITown Watch and Militia
of pole-arm or sword and bow up to the age of 30
I would change the side arm to a mace or an falchion, swords are relative expensive, maybe two much expensive for miltia.
I don't disagree here. perhaps swords would be too expensive for serf militia. I was thinking of the type of weapons that the Galadon military would require to defend against the Otarmarluks. As a Marluk military is predominantly made up of cavalry I felt that pole-arms or pike would be the popular choice of defensive weaponry, sword being the choice of the richer militiaman. Maces would be inefficent against lightly armoured and highly mobile troops.  

Quote from: ThorstenI didn`t want to crticize but i hope it helps a bit.
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :)
Gary

Thorsten

Quote from: Gary_Bingham.
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :)
Gary[/quote]

Quoteagreed see point 3
Now I see it.

QuoteI do picture the legions very much like the roman legions. . ..., control over the legions would have ceded to the Baron of Galadon. The prohibitive cost of maintaining these elite troops has led the Baron to demand a defence levy on the other highlords(note this may be a bone of contention between the highlords)
Why should the other highlords have agreed to finance the legions over suchh a long time, and give a rival such a potent threat?
How get a feudalistic society the ressources to finance and support the legions?
Out of this reasons I think a thegmata system of farmer soldiers, who see themselves as the heirs of the old legions, who see themselves as the Legions, could fit better.

QuoteAs a Marluk military is predominantly made up of cavalry I felt that pole-arms or pike would be the popular choice of defensive weaponry, sword being the choice of the richer militiaman. Maces would be inefficent against lightly armoured and highly mobile troops.  
I mean the sidearm, not the main weapon.
Main weapons should be polearms(preferred pike) and missile Weapons(preferred bow) , i mean`t as an sidearm, for personal defense, when the lines shatter or get mixed up, or when it comes to close combat, e.g. on the walls, in houses or such.
And maces would be effective against light armored troops, but i wouldn`t say they would be better than swords, but maces fit the culture i believe better than axes.