News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Requesting Con Poster Feedback for Deathwish

Started by jburneko, May 21, 2003, 07:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburneko

Hello,

So, I'm running my Deathwish scenario at the local con this weekend.  Since it seems that Christopher Kubasik's poster helped promote his Sorcerer game at the last con I thought I'd give the method a go and wrote up a poster of my own.  Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Internal Affairs
A Deathwish Scenario Game Mastered By Jesse Burneko

The spy game is a deadly one.  Why do you play?

Deathwish is an espionage variant of the award winning western RPG Dust Devils by Matt Snyder.  While most of today's espionage games focus on tactical achievement of mission objectives, Deathwish offers an alternative by focusing on the drives, passions and values of the individual operatives.  In a very real sense, Deathwish isn't about the mission, it's about the men and women behind the mission.

Using a well-designed card-based mechanic that not only resolves conflict but controls outcome narration rights, Deathwish facilitates the creation of a player-centric spy-thriller.  Every conflict carries system-driven risks for your character such that an interrogation isn't just about gathering information but the potential to lose face in the eyes of your superiors, allowing your adversary to psychologically get the better of you, or just plain old physical damage if things go badly.

The scenario Internal Affairs is set in Cold War era London.  Players will take on the roles of MI-6, CIA and KGB agents dealing with a mole in Her Majesty's Secret Service.  Character creation is quick and easy and will be done at the top of the session, allowing you to choose the drives and motivations that interest you most.  All action will take place out in the open across the table, probably insuring the revelation of the identity of the mole early on.  In Deathwish, there are no secrets between players, only characters.

marknau

I don't know how familiar you are with the logistics of that con, so I'll risk wasting some bits covering that topic first.
People will show up Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday morning and immediately head to get badges (near bar on 1st floor). Then, some will head to the RPG area (3rd floor) to sign up for stuff. Some will head for open gaming to see who's there or just hang(2nd floor). You want posters placed to hit these areas.
Tactically, you want a main "hook" that will cause anyone even remotely interested to pay attention to the poster. Then, you want to decide what 2 or 3 sub-points you're going to hit. I'd keep it tighter than what you've got.
For example, main point - Espionage RPG. So, some graphic (if you're able) or big-font catch phrase to hammer that in.
Sub points
1) character oriented, not tactical.
2) Cold war - mole in MI-6
3) Exactly where and when to show up to play

So, I'm sitting in line, operating with half my brain as usual, and I see the poster with the Bond reticle. Hmmm. Spy game. Wander over and read some fine print that either scares me away (weird system!) or pulls me in (how innovative!). Check my watch, go to 3rd floor to play game with Jesse.

You may decide that the spy thing is better as a sub-point than the main hook. I dunno. Maybe the main hook is "Play a person, not a set of numbers" or whatever. The real point is that you've got one shot to make them come look at the poster, and the details are there to weed out the people who aren't actually interested in what you've got, and to convince those who are interested to actually show up.

Incidently: cya Friday night.

Matt Snyder

This is very cool, man. Thanks for doing this, very much so. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help out. Maybe work up some graphics for the poster or something. I dunno. I'm just excited as hell to know folks are out there playing this at a con.

I think you've nailed what the game's about (and what might attract folks to it). But, I think marknau has a point -- tighter and quicker is probably better. Not always easy to do, of course.

Thanks!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Bankuei

Hi Matt,

I know its kinda lame, but perhaps drop an Alias comparison in the first paragraph?  If you wanna hook people....

Chris

jburneko

Thanks for the feedback.  Last night, I was thinking about it and I totally realized that I forgot to include the actual TIMES of the event.  Unfortunately, I won't know the locations until just before each event, so I can't put those up.

The crazy thing is that this IS me being brief.  I really strained myself to stay to the point.  Perhaps, I will do a kind of bullet summary near the top and leave the elaboration for those who wish to read further.

Thanks again.

Jesse

Walt Freitag

Hi Jesse,

Some people hate to have their text rewritten as a form of feedback. I apologize in advance if you're one of those people. Here's what I'd suggest:

----------

Real spies aren't numbers. They're men and women with drives, passions, and values. Their game is a deadly one. Why do they play?

Internal Affairs

A Deathwish Scenario by Jesse Burneko

(Time, Location)

Agents of MI-6, the CIA, and the KGB confront a mole in Cold War era London. Theirs is a world where no action, not even the simplest exchange or interrogation, is without risk. Risk of injury or death, risk of showing weakness in the eyes of their superiors or their enemies, risk of their adversaries turning the tables in a contest that's as much psychological as physical.

Deathwish is an espionage variant of the award winning western RPG Dust Devils by Matt Snyder. While most of today's espionage games focus on tactical achievement of mission objectives, Deathwish focuses on the men and women behind the mission. Using a well-designed card-based mechanic that not only resolves conflict but controls outcome narration rights, Deathwish facilitates the creation of a player-centric spy-thriller. A quick and easy character creation system means players can create their own characters at the start of the session.

----------

- Walt
Wandering in the diasporosphere

Valamir

Damn Walt, I should have asked you to write my flier.