News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge Booth 2003

Started by Paul's Girl, May 23, 2003, 11:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gwinn

I was under the understanding that the Booth was 20' x 20'

20' x 10' would be smaller than last year.

,Matt
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Valamir

I believe it IS smaller than last year...its on an end rather than a side so it should feel more open, but this is why its so important to get a good idea of the layout and such ahead of time.

Issues that will be very important from a space standpoint

1) finalizing just how many seperate points of sale we're going to have.  Each one uses space that could be used for displays and demoing.

2) making sure there are not superfluous people lounging in the booth this year.  Everyone in the booth should be either a) actively PLAYING a demo (not just hanging around waiting for one), b) actively SELLING potential customers...that means literally getting peoples attention and convincing them to come check out a game, any game, or c) manning a point of sale, taking money, writing reciepts, keeping good records, and keeping an eye on things.  Everyone else should be elsewhere.

3) actually official demo schedules so that 2a) becomes possible with people showing up for their alloted demo slots.  Actual official "open demo" space with a table and 1 or 2 people at most willing to jump into a spontaneous game of any type to help close a sale.

4) a planned schedule for 2c) so that responsible people are manning the cash box and being relieved at regular intervals.  This of course in contingent on settling on 1) above.

5) more than just a couple people actually engaged in 2a).  I was a little disappointed last year that one of the biggest sales people out shilling our games for us, was a friend of Ron's who showed up to help but had no game himself or particular interest (that I know of anyway) at being a designer.  But he was out there working it.

I know sales is not a comfortable thing for most people...I myself despise it even though my job requires it on a regular basis.  But you don't get easier sales than this.  These are gamers...at the biggest gaming con in the world...in the biggest dealer room they've ever seen...with money burning a hole in their pocket.  You can see it in their eyes as they walk down the isles...begging you to tell them what they should spend next month's rent on.  You don't get warmer sales leads than that.

All of the above is IMO and other suitable disclaimers of course.

rpghost

Kind of related but ...

It looks like I'll be going to Origins after all, so I'll be sharing a table with RPG Objects who we work closely with. I'll be taking books from RPGMall down there to sell.

Just thought I'd let you guys know so if you're an RPGMall vendor you'll get some exposure there.

We are hoping to get retail stores to start paying attention to us. We recently signed a contract with Warehouse 23, so some of your products may start showing up there.

James

Valamir

Sweet.  The retail end is really what interested me, so I'm glad to see you going in that direction.  I'll definitely stop by.

Paul's Girl

Updates

I talked to Chris Passeno about stickers, bags and a digital banner. The sticker price is good, 100 for $38, 200 for $44 and 500 for $64. The bag price, over $150 for 500, is too much for our budget.  I'll get standard bags at an office supply store for much less.  A digital banner will maintain the design detail of the Forge logo while a vinyl banner will not. The logo will have to be simplified for that type. I am currently pricing both and will make a decision by next week.

My next task is to start on the 11" x 17" signs. This is what I will need from every person selling a game (or a free game) and wants a sign:
1- photo of you, name
2- logo of game
3- subtitle or short catch phrase
4- others able to give a demo game

My e-mail address is in my profile. Please see my previous post for examples of sign design.  Deadline for sign information is July 4th.
A haiku inspired by Gen Con 2002:

Oh, Great Bowl of dice
Unearth the die of my dreams
Wicked 12 sider

-D

Luke

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for taking the reins on this. Someone needed to drag along this bag of puppies.

Just to let you (and everyone) know: I will be bringing all of my own signage. You don't need to make 11x17 boards for me, I'll do it.

In fact, I recommend everyone who can afford a trip to Kinkos do the same. We should try and relieve pressure on the Forge volunteers.

Just sos yous alls knows: Little old me is bringing: hundreds of printed stickers with my logo and website address, a couple of glossy 11x17 and 8.5x11 sign boards, table stands for the signs, and a 4x4 cloth banner. Plus as many sets of my books as I can (plus character sheets and other paper). This GenCon and I am going all out.

As far as Forge communal stuff goes: Stickers work. I give stickers out at LGS and cons and they drive a lot of traffic to my site. Is that what the stickers are for? To drive traffic to the Forge?

The color, 11x17 signs are a great idea. Everyone who can't print/make their own should get on board with this. Remember, you can pdf your designs to nathan or danielle.

What I think we really really need is a game menu. Not with demo schedules or anything. Just a 8.5x11 double-sided B/W copy on color paper that states clearly each game name, its price, a logo, and a short description/website if available. If we put these in EVERY book sold at the booth we will get a lot of residual traffic afterwards and perhaps even over the course of the con. I see it as a wish list for the kids.

I will compile and design this if no one else is doing it already. I can bring a master print with me and have the copies made in Indy. (or can arrange this, since I won't be there til friday). PM or Email me if you are interested.

one last thing: FVLMINATA BETTER be promoted/supported/demo'ed/sold at this booth. It's a great game, and I don't want it to fall off the map.

::insert ranting imp icon here::
-L

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

If I understand correctly, Michael will be playing and promoting Fvlminata at the booth.

Ralph - you'll be pleased to know that I am now A-OK with the idea of centralized money management. Call it my own contribution (i.e. mental sacrifice) to the shared goals of the booth.

Best,
Ron

Michael S. Miller

Hey, all.

I'll be there with the very last copies, ever of FVLMINATA 2nd Edition, as well as bunches of Tali. I'll be working on my sign and demo this weekend. I'm scheduled to run ticketed games of "Weekend at Burnius" on Thursday and Friday from 7-11pm, but, as it's already sold out, I'll be ready to run it again in case anyone's interested on Saturday/Sunday.

I might also have Limelight playtestable by that point.

BTW, if anyone else is interested in being a FVLMINATA Demo GM at the booth, please send me a PM as soon as possible, so I can list your name on the sign. If you need a demo to run, I'll provide one. Otherwise, I'd love to see yours.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!