News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

multiple opponent question

Started by ashampine, May 25, 2003, 02:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashampine

I just picked up the rule book and am grinding through it.

I don't understand how the multiple opponent rules work.  I get the dice splitting mechanic (although -- if one opponent does a maneuver that penalizes the solo fighter more dice than the solo allocated to that opponent, does the excess come from the dice against the other guy?), but I don't get the rules for trying to fight one on one briefly.

The terrain table has a figure for different numbers of multiple opponents.  This figure seems very low.  Does this mean you roll a number of dice equal to reflex or agility versus this target figure?  It says a failure means one more opponent can attack you, which suggests you need to roll for each opponent.  Do multiple successes have any effect?  Am I completely misunderstanding this?  

Can someone walk me through an example?

Salamander

Quote from: ashampineI just picked up the rule book and am grinding through it.

I don't understand how the multiple opponent rules work.  I get the dice splitting mechanic (although -- if one opponent does a maneuver that penalizes the solo fighter more dice than the solo allocated to that opponent, does the excess come from the dice against the other guy?), but I don't get the rules for trying to fight one on one briefly.

The terrain table has a figure for different numbers of multiple opponents.  This figure seems very low.  Does this mean you roll a number of dice equal to reflex or agility versus this target figure?  It says a failure means one more opponent can attack you, which suggests you need to roll for each opponent.  Do multiple successes have any effect?  Am I completely misunderstanding this?  

Can someone walk me through an example?

Hi, and welcome to the TRoS Forum!

Okay, so the terrain rules are used for multiple opponents, the table is not too hard to use.  The number is the target number which must be made with dice you allocate from your Combat Pool. So let's say you (12CP) are fighting three guardsmen (8CP, 7CP & 6CP) and to make the example simple we will say the fight happens on solid flat terrain. Long story short... You end up in a fight with these three guardsmen over something you did.

So these three guardsmen come at you, steel drawn. You move to defend yourself and realize pretty quick that these guys will kill you in a few seconds. So you decide to move to keep them from all attack at the same time.  As you are in a fight and hurried you will be forced to allocate some CP to moving around them. So you decide to deal with them one at a time. You allocate four dice to the Terrain roll from your Combat Pool, so you roll
(3,5,8 & 9) for two successes. This allows you to face one opponent this round. So you engage one and for the sake of arguement, you incapacitate him. Now you are at  TN6 for two opponents.

Of course if you were to consider the terrain, we would also consider everybody would have to make the terrain rolls as well. You just have everybody allocate dice from thier CP toward making the TNs for the terrain.

In the case of excess successes, I allow them to go back into the combat pool bacause they indicate he moved well enough to place himself in an even better position than he needed.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Lance D. Allen

Quote from: A lizard of some sortOf course if you were to consider the terrain, we would also consider everybody would have to make the terrain rolls as well. You just have everybody allocate dice from thier CP toward making the TNs for the terrain.

In the case of excess successes, I allow them to go back into the combat pool bacause they indicate he moved well enough to place himself in an even better position than he needed.

Note that the multiple opponents do not have to make a terrain roll to outmaneuver the solo opponent, but it is an option. If they're mookish enough, it may never occur to them, or tactically they'd be almost worthless with the CP they'd have left after attempting to maneuver around anyhow.

In the second paragraph, this is also an optional rule, but one that I rather like the sound of. To clarify it, however.. If you are rolling terrain to maneuver with two opponents, and you roll two successes (you only need one to be successful, unless your opponents roll terrain as well) then you get one of those two back into your CP, correct?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Salamander

Quote from: A Paladium Fleabag of some description

Note that the multiple opponents do not have to make a terrain roll to outmaneuver the solo opponent, but it is an option. If they're mookish enough, it may never occur to them, or tactically they'd be almost worthless with the CP they'd have left after attempting to maneuver around anyhow.

In the second paragraph, this is also an optional rule, but one that I rather like the sound of. To clarify it, however.. If you are rolling terrain to maneuver with two opponents, and you roll two successes (you only need one to be successful, unless your opponents roll terrain as well) then you get one of those two back into your CP, correct?

Right on all counts.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".