News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Some questions about fighting

Started by gmouser, May 29, 2003, 10:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmouser

hi all,
I have some questions I can't answer reading the book, so here I am again.

1) what's the penalty you apply for fighting with the wrong arm?

2) How do you handle the case when you're prone: how long it takes to raise up and what kind of roll (if any) do you require to stand up?

3) mmmh, setup grapple. I really don't understand that. When you spend some CP to make a setup grapple, it's written that you have only to win to make a grapple next exchange. But what options has your opponent got ?
he can attack, parry or what? The problem is that I really don't understand what a setup grapple is..

thank you
Grey Mouser

Spartan

Quote from: gmouserhi all,
I have some questions I can't answer reading the book, so here I am again.

1) what's the penalty you apply for fighting with the wrong arm?

2) How do you handle the case when you're prone: how long it takes to raise up and what kind of roll (if any) do you require to stand up?

3) mmmh, setup grapple. I really don't understand that. When you spend some CP to make a setup grapple, it's written that you have only to win to make a grapple next exchange. But what options has your opponent got ?
he can attack, parry or what? The problem is that I really don't understand what a setup grapple is..

1) I can't seem to find it if it's in the book.  Seeing as an ambidextrous character gets a +1 CP in the right circumstances, perhaps a -2 CP for attacks made with one's off hand?

2) There are no hard and fast mechanics for this.  I'd advise either an AG or Terrain roll.

3) I don't get it either.  However, it says that most maneuvers can be combined... so one can attack and set up a grapple at the same time, provided all activation costs are paid.  That way your opponent has to defend against your attack while you set up your grapple.  It strikes me that a similar tactic could be used when doing a bind and strike... attack with one's primary weapon and bind with the shield.  This would help reduce the "attack" defence's effectiveness against the bind maneuver.

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

gmouser

Quote from: Spartan

1) I can't seem to find it if it's in the book.  Seeing as an ambidextrous character gets a +1 CP in the right circumstances, perhaps a -2 CP for attacks made with one's off hand?

2) There are no hard and fast mechanics for this.  I'd advise either an AG or Terrain roll.

3) I don't get it either.  However, it says that most maneuvers can be combined... so one can attack and set up a grapple at the same time, provided all activation costs are paid.  That way your opponent has to defend against your attack while you set up your grapple.  It strikes me that a similar tactic could be used when doing a bind and strike... attack with one's primary weapon and bind with the shield.  This would help reduce the "attack" defence's effectiveness against the bind maneuver.

-Mark

1) OK. Sounds good!
2) A terrain roll seems very appropriate. Perhaps it could be 2-3 rounds long. What do you think of an extended terrain roll (maybe 5 successes) ?
3) sigh... I'd wish someone could clarify this.

Anyway, thank you! My first TROS campaing is about to start and I want to be sure of original rules, even if I bend them to suit my taste.

Grey Mouser

Ashren Va'Hale

okay, I will try to clarify thesetup thing. In grappling, you don't just execute most moves, you setup your opponent first, for example, I usually like to do an arm drag prior to throws and take downs

INTROS this is the setup maneuver which basicallyinitiates grappling, if you succeed in this you now are in grappling and out of circling or swordfighting or whatever. next you can grapple to throw, pin or break or whatever by beating him in the next exchange of grappling.

I can clarify more if needed.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

gmouser

Quote from: Ashren Va'HaleINTROS this is the setup maneuver which basicallyinitiates grappling, if you succeed in this you now are in grappling and out of circling or swordfighting or whatever. next you can grapple to throw, pin or break or whatever by beating him in the next exchange of grappling.

I can clarify more if needed.

At Last! Thank you, very useful!  
Now it's really clearer, but let me see if I've rightly understood that:

first exchange:
I execute a setup spending some dice form CP
my opponent can allocate some dice to attack me
the one whom obtains more successes wins the exchange.
If I win I can execute the grapple maneuver spending all my remaining dice.
if my opponent wins I take the hit and he takes initiative on the next exchange.

As a matter of fact, it's useless for someone defending against a setup to parry or dodge. The attack option is surely the best one.

Does it seem right?

Grey mouser

Lance D. Allen

Not necessarily. If he attacks you, but you successfully execute a setup grapple (remember, attacks are not compared to each other for a margin of success. If there's no defense, then all successes count) then you have the option, if you're capable of it (due to any pain penalties, etc.) of executing the second part of the grapple as either an offensive or defensive grapple on the second exchange. As one of my players can attest, a grapple can be quite painful/disruptive. He attempted to attack once his target had grabbed his wrist, and was put down on the ground, quite hard. It was a week before the bruises healed (all level 1 hits, but all over his body) and he ended up with a foot on his chest, and a sword at his throat. Luckily for him, he had a buddy that his opponent didn't know about.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

gmouser

Quote from: WolfenNot necessarily. If he attacks you, but you successfully execute a setup grapple (remember, attacks are not compared to each other for a margin of success. If there's no defense, then all successes count) then you have the option, if you're capable of it (due to any pain penalties, etc.)

well, you're right.. I didn't count setup as an attack , but it is!
Ok, now I've grasped that. Sometimes I'm astonished by the tactical options of a TROS fight. Time to throw my d20s out of the window...:-)))

Grey Mouser

Valamir

Quote from: gmouserTime to throw my d20s out of the window...:-)))

Grey Mouser

Oh don't do that...keep them around to use as jerry-rigged d10s when you need that REALLY big die pool :-)

Lance D. Allen

Yeah, and you might need at least one of them for when I finally get Mage Blade finished...
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls