News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Why should I split my combat pool?

Started by Balbinus, May 20, 2003, 11:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Leybourne

Tywin,

Let me clarify that Jake's not saying that he doesn't tell the players how many dice the NPC's are rolling at any point, just that he wont let them see the actual pool, so they can never be sure that the NPC isn't holding back.

It's a really useful tactic - I often hold back a few dice that I do not use for the first couple of rounds of combat. Lets say I have a CP of 14. I'll only spend 11 every round. After a few rounds, the opponent thinks I have 11 dice in my pool, and plays appropriately. When I suddenly pull three extra dice out, he's not expecting it and the advantage swings very much to me.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mike Holmes

What do you guys think of this trick?

Describe your character limping to the other combatant, apparently from fighting someone else, or running around on the battlefield. Then say that your pool is only 9 because of the wound, and only use that much. Defend like like you're desperate until the opponent throws a full attack with all his dice (or close enough). Then reveal that you've been faking, unleash a huge counter with your full 15 die pool, and cut him down as he stumbles by.

The ref might require an acting roll to pull it off. Countered by style analysis or something.  :-)

Would that work?

BTW, I vote that we call the above method described by Brian the Inigo/Westly Left Handed Maneuver.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Mike Holmes

What do you guys think of this trick?

Describe your character limping to the other combatant. Then say that your pool is only 9 because of the wound, and only use that much. Defend like like you're desperate until the opponent throws a full attack with all his dice (or close enough). Then reveal that you've been faking, unleash a huge counter with your full 15 die pool, and cut him down as he stumbles by.

The ref might require an acting roll to pull it off. Countered by style analysis or something.  :-)

Would that work?

Mike

Lance D. Allen

I thought it sounded workable the first time, Mike. Jeez, some people are SO impatient.

::grins::
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Mike Holmes

Whoops. That's weird. How'd the edited version end up first, and alongside the other? Huh.

Well, anyhow, glad it seems workable. :-)

Mike

Amy1419

In one of the games I was playing in, there was a character who had a huge toughness, armour, and an exceptional weapon and proficiences. At times he would chuck his entire pool plus SA's on a target leaving himself open. For awhile it worked great until he faced a particularly mean opponent that we all didn't expect. The character ended up with a level 4 wound and was 1 health point away from death when it was all over.

I always leave myself a few dice, just in case after that.

Callan S.

Quote from: Jake NorwoodThe counter is by far my favorite technique in TROS.

Jake

One day, were gunna be playing and someone will do a counter.

One day, that PC will end up catching their foes sword in their hand.

I'm sure there will be a moments stunned silence!
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

Overdrive

In our first 'real' gaming session on Monday we had a few tricky maneuvers. Oh boy was the fight between a PC swordsmaster and a Gelurean lieutenant exciting! Both used cut&thrust style.

The PC used a counter, and with bad luck just barely managed to parry. Then on the next round or so the player decided to do a simultaneous block/strike, with oodles of dice on defence and only three on offence (I didn't remember to enforce the ratio), trying for the weapon arm for +1 die. The lieutenant made a good attack roll with 7 dice (like 6 successes) and the PC the most unlucky roll ever, luckily ending up with only a scratch on his upper arm. So he got his simultaneous attack, no successes! Doh, had I wanted to totally kill the unlucky PC, I'd thrust him in the gut but decided to slash at upper legs, delivering a level 3 wound.. This ended the battle since the lieutenant didn't press on, and the PC got his lesson.

Marvelous duel, tactical choices being very important but as seen, luck also plays significant part :)

Notice the attack/attack resolution. Round x+2, first exchange: NPC attacks with 7 dice, PC simu block/strikes with all. NPC hits (barely), PC fails. NPC has some dice left, so on the next exchange he uses them, no dice left for defence..