News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What's next for Burning Wheel?

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, May 31, 2003, 07:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

Luke,

I noticed you have been releasing parts of the "Monster Burner," a book of character lifepaths for monster-type races. Since you're releasing it as you complete it, will it be free for download, a PDF for sale, or will you compile the sections into another book?

Past that, what sort of free or commercial resources are you planning to release for Burning Wheel?
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Luke

what sort of free or commercial resources are you planning to release for Burning Wheel?

What to do next is a question that has been vexing me since I (finally) published the game. Right now I am just trying to play catch-up. The game as it stands is complete, but there are some thin sections that I promised to flesh out— Abstraction, Summoning, additional lifepaths for example.

In that, I am trying to complete a "Monster Burner" and a "Magic Burner." The Monster Burner will have about 5 new LP sets complete with culture, special traits, and magic variants. There will also be an expanded beastiary and trait buying system for creating monsters "from scratch."

The Magic Burner will be comprised of Abstraction, Summoning, Enchanting, Nigromantic Constructions, Automata and possibly variant religions/prayers for Faith. Also included will be new spells and lifepaths for sorcerous characters. We are brainstorming a whole Cabal setting.

The chapters for both of these books will be available for pdf download (for free) on bw.org. When the book(s) are complete, I will comission new art work and take them to press. They will both be in the same format as the BW set and have their own unique single color covers.

Beyond that I have two "campaign books" in the works, one more extensive than the other. The simple one is just a detailed look at our staple european fantasy setting. It will contain information on politics, law, urban life, economy, disease, and tons of plot hooks. This will be available piecemeal for download and, if I commission art for it, may be put into pay pdf or even book format some day.

The second is a much more extensive unique setting for BW. This one will be a long time coming and is currently last on the projects list.

I would also like to release a series of "adventures" or a campaign as free pdf downloads. I have the arc planned out, but I am having quite a bit of trouble getting this one off the ground. Very stuck on this. So they are also on the back burner. (I write all of my material myself, so when something is hard coming I just skip it and move on to the next project. The key is to always keep writing! ugh.)

I am also open to suggestions.

Thank you for asking.
-L

rafial

Quote from: abzuWhen the book(s) are complete, I will comission new art work and take them to press. They will both be in the same format as the BW set and have their own unique single color covers.

Odd format books with color coded covers.  The echos of Traveller just keep rolling on in!  I love it!

Especially since you are almost totally unfamiliar with it :)

drozdal

Ahh Luke - that's what i like - simplified combat - didin't have time to read thru it but just took a glimpse and i loved it - thanx for another great addition man :). Now we may start thinking global (wars, invasions, army leading), instead of local (bar fights, bandit hunt) :)

Thanx again.

The simple melle rules are avail via forums at Burning Wheel website.

Drozdal

Bankuei

Hi Luke,

"Make your own monster"?  I'm all about it!  I've always been a fan of systems that give you the tools to make it yourself rather than buy a new supplement.  Mekton Techbook, Mekton Plus, Mage, and Guns, Guns, Guns have all earned my eternal respect for that.  Given the quality of the core books, I can't wait.

Chris

taepoong

Quote from: Bankuei
"Make your own monster"?  I'm all about it!

Me too! I am very excited about such an option!

Let's see...

Using my Monster creation pts, I will buy the Slimey, Fanged Maw, and Smelly Traits, plus the 24 stat pt pool and the 10 skill pts pool, including Stealthy, Savage Attack, and Cave-wise.

Hmmm... what the hell is that?!

:oD
Abzu yelled at me and called my old sig "silly."