News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A Halfling of Stahl

Started by Morfedel, June 01, 2003, 01:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

I was just thinking... if I made a halfling, that says I have one human parent.

Would it be reasonable to say the halfling also gets the advantages of their human parent's, or are those more cultural?

Also, I realize that Halflings are priority C because they are rare; but it seems that, from a sheer point of privelege, that often you are better off playing a human from a number of kingdoms than playing a halfling, due just to abilities. I mean, since the fey and seelie, etc, are innately magical creatures, and so rare and mysterious, I would have thought that they would have more significant benefits over humans.

And not JUST because of their C priority. But also because of their innate tie to magic, etc.

Agree? Disagree?

(And I know, I know, the comment of choosing a priority of A, B, or C for race is based off rarity - but a sorcerer at priority A/B is significantly powerful, as is a warrior with priority A in proficiencies versus C, or Attributes A vs C; my opinion is that priority should reflect at least a little bit power as well as rarity; after all, look at the other 5 categories, and the rest all reflect power increases per step.

Oh, and I would love to see racial selections for D and E as well, hehe)

Nick the Nevermet

First, it would be interesting if there were more racial preferences at different levels.  I'm unsure if it would be worth it in the end-analysis, but at least it would be interesting.  This is probably stuff that should be contemplated for the magic book (Sorcerers & Fey or something) when it is developed more.  That book has a right to be just as expansive, interesting, and head-ache inducing as Flower of Battle, IMHO.

As for whether you are 'better off' or not... well... that really depends on what your goals for the character are.  "Better off" is not exactly a rigid, objective standard.  For most characters, it is probably true that being a Halfling, with the rules that currently exist, is probably not a correct choice from the min/max perspective.  Please do not read into this & think I am saying that this perspective is totally bad.  A lot of players have a valid point when they want characters who are competent at something meaningful in the game.

With that being said, building to be an 'efficient' character isn't the only standard.  No matter how good of a fighter you are in TROS, you're still quite mortal.  Besides, as our mantra goes, TROS is about character motivations driving them on.  A player could have a lot of fun (and be rewarded a lot) for centering his spiritual attributes on the fact that his/her character is a halfbreed.  Think of all the fun tension, conflict, and roleplay one demands by creating a character stuck between two worlds like a Halfling is.  A lot of interesting roleplaying experiences are there.  And if one wants to, they can link it back to a min/max argument by suggesting that if you build the character right, the SAs will all deal with that constant tension, and therefore the character should constantly be getting more SA points, which are also effectively XP.