News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Handling Outside Submissions

Started by Michael Hopcroft, May 31, 2003, 07:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

Today, like a bolt out of the blue, someone came to me with a game idea. not a HeartQuest supplement, not a Fuzz, supplement, but a complete game idea. I don;t know if I'm the only publisher he approached with it, but he wants me to publish it.

I told him to be realistic about what I could pay him, but that I was interested. His letter told me he beleived a great deal of money could be made off the property he was offering. He didn't even say how he heard about me, which is kind of depressing. But still I don;t know quite what to make of the situation.

The market is so tight for RPG Freelancers that I am tempted to take on the project to help him out. It would definitely be an addition to my line -- in fact it would take me in a completely new direction.A direction I can;t be 100% sure I want to go until I see more of what he plans in terms of gameplay and setting.

Is this a sign of success on my part? Why do you think he would come to ME?
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Jack Spencer Jr

Naturally you will do what you want to, Michael, but I strongly caution you go there carefully. There may be possible problems involved with this sort of thing. On the Cheepass Games site they state they are not taking submissions and if you have a great game idea to start your own company. This sounds like good advice to imitate.

DP

Hi Michael,

I think being approached by a stranger with a game is a predictable thing to have happen to someone in your situation. You can take it as a measure of your success that it happened sooner rather than later; this fellow obviously saw your and your company's names bandied about.

I might recommend the same cautious approach Jack suggested. You may not want to dissipate your energy by trying to move from your greatest strengths.

And write up a form letter for the next guy: We're honored to have received your game idea proposal; however, we are not considering outside game ideas at this point.
Dave Panchyk
Mandrake Games

Michael Hopcroft

Quote from: Dave PanchykHi Michael,

I think being approached by a stranger with a game is a predictable thing to have happen to someone in your situation. You can take it as a measure of your success that it happened sooner rather than later; this fellow obviously saw your and your company's names bandied about.

I might recommend the same cautious approach Jack suggested. You may not want to dissipate your energy by trying to move from your greatest strengths.

And write up a form letter for the next guy: We're honored to have received your game idea proposal; however, we are not considering outside game ideas at this point.

Which would be nice if it were true. but I have always considered sourcebook and game proposals from freelancers if I could afford to produce them. I'm already doing one game, MechSpace, that originated from a freelancer.

I tend to make very quick decisions about creative things. If an idea appeals to me, my natural tendency is to snap it up as soon as possible and then sweat the details as they become available. One lovely thing about having downloaded the ePublisers Guide is that it's made it a lot easier for me to deal with freelancers -- whenever I need a contract I have a form with indsutry-standard terms ready at my disposal.

In the end, i decided to publish this game. I probably won;t have to worry about it for several months, as I'm taking a hands-off approach and letting the wreiter write it basically as he sees fit. I can start a game company without resources, as I did with Seraphim guard, but I know that not everybody has my resilience. The fact that he approached me is an indication that he wants the expertise of a publisher on his side and that he geniunely believes that he can help my company.
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Bailey

You could always suggest he hire you as a consultant if you are willing to assist in his endevor.  If it doesn't work you haven't got yourself entagled with him too much, and if things work well you have a strong ally.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

ADGBoss

As someone who is himself getting closer to being legit as far as having an RPG company, I am going to say be caustious but go for it.  With the Internet, the addition of RPGMall, and the plethora of information here and elsewhere, I see no reason why you shouldn't publish this idea, especially if you feel it could be successful.

Be firm, set deadlines and make sure he knows you mean it. Make sure you both understand the contract between you two.  Otherwise enjoy :)

Sean
AzDGBoss
AzDPBoss
www.azuredragon.com

pigames

Michael,

Also keep in mind that an 'idea for a game' and a 'workable game' are two different things. Ask yourself "how far along is the game in terms of system, writing, etc? How much work will YOU have to put into it? What other skills can HE bring to the table?"

Clay

Outside submissions are an unavoidable reality.  I stopped publishing my fiction 'zine years ago, and I still get submissions.  Why, I don't know, but they keep coming.

The big question to ask yourself is "does this fit my vision for my company."  Straying from that vision without a really strong reason is generally reflected by a downward trend in the corporate income statement.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management