News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Give me your SAs!

Started by Darren Hill, June 05, 2003, 04:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tywin Lannister

In my game, I have three players. The one with the most interestings SAs (I think):

* Passion: Loves his stepmother (! pretty interesting in an intrigue game like the one we play)
* Conscience: Strike up, not down
* Destiny: Something about ambition and a fall, I don't remember exactly

Major flaw: Greed

He's the son of a noble - to see what it's about in more detail, go here:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44311
The trees bend their boughs towards the earth and nighttime birds float as black faces.

Spartan

Quote from: MorfedelThe destiny puts him on the path where he COULD become king.

It also depends on what you mean by "king".  It could turn out he's destined to become king of a group of petty tribes/clans, or the "king" of a association of people (thieves, merchants, vagabonds...), not necessarily a nation-state or kingdom.  Perhaps the "king" of an idea (e.g. King of "Justice": a folk hero who does things Robin Hood style)...  Just some thoughts.

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

arxhon

Wolfen is right on with his comments.

For the character in my game wishing to be King, there is certainly a good opportunity for him to kill an enemy King and take his crown, but the enemy king has at his disposal a medium sized army and certain other....assets (can't get into them right now, because the players in my game lurk here once in a while) that will make the character's job difficult.

Of course, once a character actually fulfills his Destiny, his troubles are just beginning. What if other lords don't like the PC? What if the deposed ruler's allies and retainers now hate the PC for usurping the King? What about internal strife (bandits, etc)? If a major war was fought over a couple of towns, how will they be rebuilt? How does the populace feel about the new King, compared to the old one? What about the laws of the land? In Cyrinthmeir, for example, practically anybody with the strength of arms to take a kingdom in their name could probably do so, but would the High King, or other Kings, recognize the new one, or even care? What about neighboring nations, like Gelure, Oustenreich or Stahl? How will the local rulers react there?

Fulfilling a Destiny shouldn't become the end of the game. Rather, it should spur new directions for the campaign to go.

Lance D. Allen

Hey guys,

I'm enjoying the talk of destiny, and applying SAs. But it's a little off-topic from what the original poster intended. While he may be contributing to the OT conversation, I think that we should take the discussion to a new thread, and allow this one to get back to it's original intent; sharing our SAs to give a guideline of how they're to be used.

On that note, of few of my character's SAs:

Passion: Loyalty to Law and Order
Passion: Hatred for Trollspawn
Drive: Always gets his man (character's a bounty hunter)

Destiny: Sing the song of a hero (bard character)
Drive: Find his family (orphaned bard, at that)

Passion: Hatred of violence (Xanarian wandering monk)
Drive: to Learn more
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Lance D. Allen

New thread started.

See: Destiny and other SAs in Play
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Darren Hill

Quote from: WolfenHey guys,

I'm enjoying the talk of destiny, and applying SAs. But it's a little off-topic from what the original poster intended. While he may be contributing to the OT conversation, I think that we should take the discussion to a new thread, and allow this one to get back to it's original intent; sharing our SAs to give a guideline of how they're to be used.

It's a little late, but good idea :)
Any more SAs/character concepts anyone?

Darren

Bomilkar

I consider Destiny the most interesting SA.

In my upcoming TROS-Campaign set in Westeros right before the war between House Targaryen and the Stark-Baratheon-Arryn-Alliance, one of my players decided to create a Lyseni assassin-executioner in service to Mad King Aerys. His SAs are as follows:

Passion: Loyalty to House Targaryen
Drive: To sow fear into the hearts of the King's true enemies
Faith: A Lyseni cult revering a mortal tyrant who ascended to become a god.
Destiny: It has been foretold, that once you will kill a king.

Now, while Passion, Drive and Faith are rather straightforward in that example, Destiny gives the whole thing an interesting twist. The character knows about his destiny, but he does not know what it is supposed to mean. Will he be the one responsible for killing Aerys, either by treason or by failing to defend him? Or will there be another king destined to die by his hands, maybe someone who suceeds Aerys or The King Beyond The Wall?

We decided to give bonus dice whenever the prophecy might come into play, no matter, wether the character tries to follow his destiny or to fight it. That should make for some surprising plot turns, I hope.

Just my 2 cents.
Battle? There is always a desire for breathing space motivating it somewhere.
The Bashar Teg