News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Use Terrain

Started by Darren Hill, June 08, 2003, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Hill

When facing more than one opponent and having to deal with slippery/troublesome terrain, do you treat these as separate tasks (allocate CP to both, separately), or do you make just one CP allocation and use the higher TN?

In the session today I used the first option, but I wonder if it was too harsh.

Another way might be to use the second method, and require 2 successes: if you only get 1, you choose which you benefit from: facing 1 attacker or halve dice pool.

Jake Norwood

That's how I do it.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Darren Hill

Quote from: Jake NorwoodThat's how I do it.

Jake

I'm probably being dense, but which way is that? I mentioned two possibilities! ;)

Jake Norwood

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Darren Hill

Quote from: Jake Norwoodseparate tasks

Thanks, and sorry for being easily confused! :)

Lance D. Allen

As I understand it, and have handled it in the past, terrain rolls to deal with terrain, and terrain rolls to deal with opponents are separate tasks. However, I see nothing wrong with using the higher TN, and allocating successes as you see fit among the two tasks.

An additional note/idea: When using terrain to your advantage (such as jumping onto a table, or diving across a bed as I've used in examples here on the boards) I would allow an Acrobatics roll using similar rules to using it to assist in evasion, except that the successes grant dice to the terrain check, instead of an evasion roll.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Valamir

Actually, my first instinct would have been to do them as seperate tasks...
But the idea of using the higher difficulty and then allocating successes has some definite appeal.  Its a single extra roll instead of a series, its probably a little harder to succeed but not as much harder as you might think, since you get the advantage of not wasting successes (i.e. 3 successes on the first roll but none on the second).  And having to deal with two problems at once should probably be a little harder anyway.

I kind of like that idea, at least conceptually.