News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

review request: wushu

Started by signoftheserpent, June 08, 2003, 01:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

signoftheserpent

i am interested in finding reviews on Wushu or similar articles. this is posted here because i dont know where else it should be. thank you.

Brand_Robins

I recently put in a review of Wushu on RPG.net. It should be up on that site in the next week.

The basic gist of the review is: The game kicks ass for one-shot action games in a loosely narrative style. However, to make the most of the material in the book, players and GMs would want to already be familiar with ideas like collaborative scene-setting, organic turn taking, character centered plot formation, and using rolls to determine the outcome of scenes rather than of individual actions – because the book does little to explain them and leaves the actual flow of the game very much unstated and assumed. (In other words, most Forgeites would have little problem jumping right in, but those trying to go right out of traditional D&D or GURPS games might have head explosions.)

Wushu is a good game, but with a little additional explanation of the theory behind the game, and how such theory effects play (something like Ron did in Sorcerer and Sword), it could be a very good game.
- Brand Robins

John Harper

I recently ran Wushu and will have a report up in the Actual Play forum sometime this week.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!