News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

InSpectres: What now?

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, June 09, 2003, 12:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

InSpectres is going to be available at GenCon (and off my site as well) as a punk-press paperback and yes, it will have art and interior graphics (courtesy of Ben Morgan, Matt Snyder, Jon Morris and Manning Krull). But what about the *game* itself?

That's where y'all come in.

If you have any wants/needs for additions, clarifications, etc. for InSpectres 2.5, let me know now.

Also, anyone have cover ideas?

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ron Edwards

Put me down for making it clear as day that a roll of 1-3 fails in a particular stated task/outcome, whereas 4-6 succeeds. All context and ultimate outcomes are up for grabs to the whim of whoever's narrating, of course, which is the tricky part. Hence - examples, examples, examples.

Best,
Ron

Michael S. Miller

Hi, Jared.

Also, there was a review a few months back on RPG.net. In the threads following, Ron pointed out how the survival and prosperity of the Franchise is the driving Premise of the game. A paraphrase: "You suffer Stress individually, but recover from it at communal cost. That's gotta put stress on a business." That one post revolutionized my understanding of the game. You don't need to get GNS-jargony (not that you would) to get across the point that the Franchise rules aren't just a kewl add-on, but the point of the game, particularly over multiple sessions. Perhaps also a word or two in the character concept section reinforcing that PCs are owners of their franchise, not just employees.

Looking forward to 2.5 with Great Expectations.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Michael S. Miller

Of course, maybe you don't agree with Ron's assessment. In that case, ignore the suggestion above.

I still await with 'bated breath.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Mike Holmes

An easy way to do it would be to say that if the Franchise get's to some very high number of dice that the characters can cash in and retire. Makes it a sort of goal that says to the players that it's what play is about.

OTOH, I'm not sure that it's at all neccessary to make that point. I think play works perfectly well as is.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jared A. Sorensen

Examples, rules clarifications yes...but I won't be inserting further explicatin' on what the game "means" -- that's like Spielberg replacing guns with flashlights and walkie-talkies in E.T.

I must add that Ron's pretty much on the money about the game but it's just not in my nature to hand-hold people through the vagaries of narrativistic play. If they get it, they get it...if not, they're playing an updated version of Ghostbusters and having fun doing it.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Jason L Blair

Jared,

The current cover works. I'm not talking, "It's familiar; why change?" I'm talking, "It's perfect for the material presented. I wouldn't touch it."
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Jonathan Walton

Or, as an alternative to Jason's fine suggestion, there's always John Harper :)

Joe Murphy (Broin)

I've had lots of fun snipping out badges and character sheets from the material Ben designed. I love the fact that I can give players everything they need for the gaming, giving 'em color, rules and background material in one wodge: "Yes, that's all you need."

As InSpectres is often used for one-shots, or convention games, maybe a flyer would be useful? I'm thinking a sheet I could hand to players, which would give them a brief description of the aims of the game, and maybe an example franchise/character or two.

I'd really like some example franchises. Or a franchise generator (doesnt that sound tedious?), coz the mission generator tables are good.

I too like the current cover.

Joe.