News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Two handed mass weapons

Started by Darren Hill, June 13, 2003, 08:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Hill

Which skill do you use for, say, two handed axes (that aren't poleaxes), mauls, hammers, and so forth?

Also, do flails and war flails not deserve their own skill? I'm speaking from ignorance (and that's never stopped me before!), but these seem to me to be different enough from other mass weapons to warrant their own skill.

Jake Norwood

The problem is that nothing exists historically to imply that flail-weapons were trained in seperately or had anything resembling a "school."

As for two-handed mass weapons, use poleax for 2-handed, or mass weapon & shield for one-handed.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Morfedel

So, the proficiences you have are based on historical schools of training then, and not classifications of weapons?

Jake Norwood

Sort of. Their classified by actual differences is the ways that weapons were used, as closely as possible, though certainly some speculation was involved in the process of setting up the schools. Likewise, a fencing school back in the day would teach several or all of those weapons. I tried to group them by function and basic principles of use, instead of the very arbitrary way that it's generally handled in FRPGs.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant