News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Unbalancing ... for want of another word

Started by Gary_Bingham, June 13, 2003, 11:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_Bingham

I am not a practitioner of HEMA and do not profess to know much about the martial art hence I am pitching my question here for some of you experts to answer.

If after a parry I step towards my opponent and apply force to unbalance him with a shoulder charge, a headbutt or a body check this may give me an advantage whilst he regains his balance. Is this a realistic option? Is it a variant of the Bind and Strike manouver?

Anyone to pick this up?
thanks in advance

Jake Norwood

It is a realistic option. You could use it as bind and strike, but remember the range penalty for something at "hand" reach, or even one shorter..."Body" reach, I suppose.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Valamir

I'd be more inclined to use the rules for Hook I think.

Mike Holmes

Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jake Norwood

Hook's good, too. The fact is that any of these could work, given circumstances.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Gary_Bingham

Thanks for the replies guys. It is good to know that even someone with little or no actual combat experience can take the system and realise actions that would be effective in actual combat. It says a lot for the quality of the combat system in TROS.

Jake, quick question. I am looking at the Bind and Strike manouver in the rulebook and it does not list the proficency level at which it is available. Is it available to beginners?

Gary

Jake Norwood

Salamander

Quote from: Gary_BinghamThanks for the replies guys. It is good to know that even someone with little or no actual combat experience can take the system and realise actions that would be effective in actual combat. It says a lot for the quality of the combat system in TROS.
Gary

Well, don't give all the credit to Jake, you have done some good work in your figuring out how to address this question.

I agree, Jake did an excellent job of it. When I speak about my take on things I just like to colour it with the real world examples I am learning about to help give people asking a question an image that they can work with. If you have had ebough, just tell me to shut up.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".