News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Gaining Reach

Started by Darren Hill, June 16, 2003, 10:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Hill

The rulebook says that you gain the Reach advantage if you score a "damaging" hit on your opponent.
Does this mean you have to penetrate armour, or just score a solid hit regardless of whether any damage gets through?

Durgil

Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Lance D. Allen

A level 0 hit counts as damaging for the purposes of reach.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Darren Hill

Quote from: WolfenA level 0 hit counts as damaging for the purposes of reach.

I wasn't sure about this, since in at least one game I've played a distinction is made between "exactly zero" and "less than zero". In other words, is a 6 damage hit against 9 toughness a level 0 hit, or a level -3 hit?

Nick the Nevermet

6 damange against a 9 toughness, for the purposes of this discussion, is 0.

Example: You have a guy wearing plate carrying a claymore.  He attacks a guy with a shortsword.  The guy with a shortsword successfully hits the knight, in spite of the reach penalties he faces.  Unfortunately, because of the plate, he does no damage.

According to the rules, while no damage has been done, the guy with the big sword is now at a disadvantage, as the guy with the short sword is 'inside his guard' or somesuch.

Darren Hill

That confirms it's the way I thought it should be, Nick, but my inner pedant was screaming "but that's not a level 0 hit, it's a -3 hit!" :)

Nick the Nevermet

Ah, well, I enjoy breaking math, so when I see a -3 = 0 make sense, it brings me great joy.