News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Wyrms

Started by Lebo77, July 22, 2003, 03:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lebo77

The intro story for the Wyrm implys that the wyrm has some form of flame breath yet this is not detailed in the creature description. If this is a specific spell the wyrm is useing, could someone detail it?  One of the key rules of TROS magic is: "NO FIREBALLS" and so I am wondering how a wyrm manages it.  As far as I can tell it's a spell of one...

Ashren Va'Hale

I always liked the idea of it being a napalm like chemical that is exuded.
in other words chemical, not magical. this makes it a lot simpler for metagame purposes. In game it burns the same.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Lebo77

That's fine, but there are NO rules for it.  It's aparently VERY powerfull, and while I could whip something up for it, (e.g. it hit you?  You die.) I would like to hear input from the forum on it.

Ashren Va'Hale

I would rule that it is some nasty shiz that would use the generic table with some nasty shock factors- say negate metal armor values- be area effect- and have a base damage of 10. a refresh/prep time of 6, range of +1/3yds max 21 yards (flame disperses).

The real question is how do you handle area effect stuff?
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Jake Norwood

Hmmm...we don't have rules for that? BRIAN!!!

Actually on p. 227 of the core rulebook it gives dragon fire a DR of 10, usuable with their big CP (which is more like a MP in this case).

As for reach, etc... I'd say it goes out in a cone of about 20 degrees and about 100-300 feet.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Lebo77

Ahhh... I did not have the book in front of me.  Perhaps reprinting those in the next edition of OBAM would clairify the situation.  Thanks for the help! :-)
(Oh are my players in trouble)

Jake Norwood

Perhaps so. Dangit.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Uhh... which part of...

QuoteMany, but not all, are capable of exhaling superheated gas from their bellies; this is quite capable of boiling a man in his armor or, in the case of some older Wyrms, melting him alive.

... are people finding confusing?

That's from the book. Or, at least, it's from the original manuscript on my hard drive, I have not checked the final book yet.

It goes on to provide details of damage etc.

So I'm confused. Exactly what is missing?

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Brian Leybourne

OK, yes, it is true that I didn't give lots of D&D-style details on exactly how to apply the damage. My bad, blame me. (Although in my defense, the editors/Jake never said anything about it either... *grin*).

Like all area affect damage, apply it like falling damage I guess, and because it's gas/flame ignore armor but allow toughness. How does that sound?

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Lebo77

Right, I need to make an apointment to get my eyes checked.  Sorry guys.   Keep up the good work!  :-/  

Just wondering, how does the area-effect work.  That's the only point left to resolve. (asside from my apparent inability to read)

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Lebo77Just wondering, how does the area-effect work.  That's the only point left to resolve. (asside from my apparent inability to read)

You *still* have an inability to read. See my last message just above yours :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Jake Norwood

Yeah, Brian's right. That's what I get for jumpin' the gun...

Jake

Lebo77

Yup, I replyed to the last post without reading the ones above it.  I do believe I am haveing a lousy day with respect to TROS.