News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bugs in the Combat Simulator

Started by Morfedel, June 13, 2003, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

I just found at least one bug in the combat simulator. If an individual's combat pool gets down to 1 die, and he is required to attack,  but due to weapon range he has to pay a die in order to attack, it does not allow a Do Not Attack option - it's greyed out. Hence, the combat sim ends.

Also, it would be nice to have an option to reset the simulator so you dont have to restart the program, just the simulator - and have it reset the fighters.

Incidentally, what did you use to write the simulator in?

Mike Holmes

Please allow six weeks for delivery of reply.

;-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Lance D. Allen

Brian codes in Delphi, I believe, which he describes as a relative of PASCAL, on steroids.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

Hey guys, greetings from La Paz, Bolivia - the highest capital city in the world. And yet I log onto the forum (well, this is the first time since we left a week ago). Am I sad or what? :-)

The combat sim was written in Delphi. I´ll have to look into why the no-attack option was greyed out, it shouldn´t be. Don´t hold your breath, I enter Peru on Monday and wont be home for 5 more weeks.

As for a restart option, well, there is. You probably have an old version. Download it again.

La Paz Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Morfedel

Well then, maybe that other version is also fixed with that bug. I'll get back to you.

Did you use Borland's products for designing it? I'm a C++ / VB programmer myself, but I sure love Borland's IDEs.

ruusu

Speaking of bugs, this was rather weird... a TN of 0 and weapon damage -7? Strange.

---
First engagement...

Thorgills takes a swing at Saidu's groin (upwards) with 8 dice...
Saidu tries to bash aside Thorgills's weapon with 10 dice, leaving it open for a counter attack...
Thorgills's attack was a feint, and he instead thrusts at Saidu's head with 9 dice...
(TN 0) 3, 5, 4, 4, 5, 7, 15, 2, 1  - Result: 9
(TN 6) 1, 4, 8, 2, 4, 6, 1, 7, 5, 4  - Result: 3

Thorgills rolls and gets 9 successes.
Saidu rolls and gets 3 successes.

---------------------------------------
Attack successes: 6
Strength: 7
Weapon Damage: -7
Toughness: 5
Armor: 0

Thorgills hits Saidu with a total damage rating of 1... (punctured right below collarbone)

(Hand Axe adds extra shock...)
Saidu loses the rest of his combat pool due to shock!
---

Brian Leybourne

Hmm. what was the weapon being used?

La Paz Brian
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

ruusu

Saidu: short spear and shield (buckler). Thorgills: hand axe and shield (also a buckler).

Managed to do it all over again - a feint & thrust with the hand axe seems to cause that TN 0 and damage -ST thingie.

Jason Kottler

Delphi is much more than Pascal on steroids. It's a complete hybrid object oriented language which means that it's meant to work with objects but things that are best represented as functions and procedures can be written as such instead of being crammed unnaturally into a class. It's got a fantastically fast single-pass optimizing compiler for code that builds fast and runs fast. It has the best in-the-box visual component library I've ever worked with. It beats every strongly-typed OO platform I've encountered.

Only, if you live in the US, don't expect to get a job writing code in it. It's sadly underrepresented here. However, the community is strong and the software well supported. If I were starting a new project on my own, Delphi would be a VERY strong contender for language of choice.

Yes, you use Pascal syntax, but this is not, as they say, your father's Pascal.

Brian, I ask again - are you interested in sharing your source? I can understand if you don't want to OS these things, but how about an NDA based agreement for those of us who'd like to pitch in? Oh, and enjoy South America! I live much closer than you do to it, and I've never been there...shameful, really...
Jason Kottler -Ultrablamtacular!

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: ruusuSaidu: short spear and shield (buckler). Thorgills: hand axe and shield (also a buckler).

Managed to do it all over again - a feint & thrust with the hand axe seems to cause that TN 0 and damage -ST thingie.

I will look into it when I get home in a little over 2 weeks. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Jason, well, maybe. We will talk.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com