News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

FoRKs in Melee

Started by rafial, June 19, 2003, 03:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rafial

So I've noticed that all the melee weapons skills list brawling, martial arts and each other as FoRKs.  Does this mean that if I have both Sword skill and Brawling skill, when I strike with my sword in combat I can FoRK an extra die from Brawling onto my strike?  And if I (for example) fight with a sword and a dagger, and have both Sword skill and Knives skill, can I FoRK an extra die onto my sword strike for using the dagger as well?

And in a slightly related question, where is the "Two Fisted Fighting" skill mentioned in section on parrying weapons?  It's not in the skill list (at least under that name) and I haven't found a lifepath with it yet.

taepoong

When it comes to winning a fight, you need every advantage. And so, you can FoRK in all your martial skills! Start with your Sword; add in Knives, Brawling, and even Axe! There's always a kernel of knowledge from one art that could be applied to another. In our games, we call FoRKing in all your available martial skills "fightin' dirty," as opposed to a fight using purely one skill. It's definitely a prestige thing to not use FoRKs, but then again, what's prestige mean when you are about to die?

Two-Fisted Fighting is a training that costs 2 skill points to purchase. It allows you to use a second weapon as if it were a shield. You can use another weapon to Block-and-Strike. It also allows you to make continous Strikes, even with Slow weapons. Check the BW.org news section. I think there was clarification there... maybe.
Abzu yelled at me and called my old sig "silly."

rafial

Quote from: taepoongStart with your Sword; add in Knives, Brawling, and even Axe! There's always a kernel of knowledge from one art that could be applied to another. In our games, we call FoRKing in all your available martial skills "fightin' dirty," as opposed to a fight using purely one skill.

Cool, so my interpretation was correct.  So to clarify, you are allowing a Sword strike to fork off Knives skill, even if the striker isn't currently wielding a knife?  That's brutal! :/

QuoteTwo-Fisted Fighting is a training that costs 2 skill points to purchase. It allows you to use a second weapon as if it were a shield. You can use another weapon to Block-and-Strike. It also allows you to make continous Strikes, even with Slow weapons. Check the BW.org news section. I think there was clarification there... maybe.

On BW.org, it's mentioned by name on the Duelist lifepath, but not otherwise detailed.  It's effect is described in the combat rules in the book, but it wasn't on the general skill list.  I was just wondering if any of the basic lifepaths in the rulebook include it.  I haven't found it one yet, but I haven't done an exhaustive search yet.

nebulous menace

The way that we've been playing it:

If you're going to FoRK in more than one thing, you have to have a good line to use on the GM.

FoRK in Cudgel and Axe on your Hammer skill, that's plausible. Forking in Axe and Spear on your Knife skill, well. . .you better start talkin' fast.

I've got a character who FoRKs in Anatomy. Think of it as "Called shot-femoral artery."

Luke

Quote from: nebulous menace
If you're going to FoRK in more than one thing, you have to have a good line to use on the GM.

FoRK in Cudgel and Axe on your Hammer skill, that's plausible. Forking in Axe and Spear on your Knife skill, well. . .you better start talkin' fast.

I've got a character who FoRKs in Anatomy. Think of it as "Called shot-femoral artery."

LOL! Perfect. This is exactly how I intended it.

-abzu