News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Alteration of Beliefs and Instincts

Started by Mulciber, January 10, 2004, 01:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulciber

Hey Luke (and others),

I seem to remember your core books indicating that not playing with a Belief could be grounds for it being dismissed.  Do you have any other mechanics to deal with changing, dropping, or picking up Beliefs and Instincts? I can't remember any.

In your group's actual play, do you guys ever alter B & I after character creation, and if so, do you just go to social agreement or what?  

I wished to offer that spending a point of Artha (Deeds, I suppose) to gain, delete, or modify B and I to fit with the player's notion of the character might be a thing to consider as a useful mechanic.  What do you think?

regards,
Will

Luke

Hi Will,

Thanks for popping by and popping a very relevant question. I thought long and hard about this very issue when designing BITs. I felt a point cost for changing BITs would be reasonable, but I could never justify it. Our group always operated by social agreement and never had a problem with it. I felt that adding a mechanic on to it would be contrived and perhaps unduly constraining. The trick about BITs is that they are meant to change, but that there has to be impetus.

Using your system I would say Persona to change Beliefs and Fate to change Instincts. Deeds is just too pricey!

thanks again!
-Luke